cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SL1 with no viewfinder display

Prodigy
Apprentice

I have an SL1 for more than a year working flawlesly, out of the blue, the viewfinder display where info about the exposure is shown at the bottom is now missing! however the red dots or focusing points still show as usual.

I reset all camera settings, but it did not solve the problem. I also noticed that the battery get drained when i try to use the camera next day (the camera switch was on off position).

Is there any way (combination buttons) I could have accidently turned the display off? 

Anybody experienced this issue before?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Does the display work when you press the "Menu" button?

If so, then likely you've simply disabled the display (it's not broken).  If you press the "Info" button repeatedly, each press causes it to cycle through several optional things that the rear LCD can display and one of the choices is to remain dark (it doesn't display anything at all when using the camera) but even in that mode it will still light up if you press the "Menu" button.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Prodigy
Apprentice

If you mean the main LCD display, then Yes, it does work fine.
I did cycle trough with "info" button. In none of the 3 modes (settings info, main display, blank screen) the viewfinder display is always off or not visible when trying to shoot.
Thank you for ur input.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Prodigy wrote:

I have an SL1 for more than a year working flawlesly, out of the blue, the viewfinder display where info about the exposure is shown at the bottom is now missing! however the red dots or focusing points still show as usual.

I reset all camera settings, but it did not solve the problem. I also noticed that the battery get drained when i try to use the camera next day (the camera switch was on off position).

Is there any way (combination buttons) I could have accidently turned the display off? 

Anybody experienced this issue before?

Thank you

-  Does your camera still take a picture? 

-  Does the viewfinder not appear in all, or just some modes?

- What type and model lens is attached to your camera?

-  If you remove the lens, does the camera battery still drain overnight?

I am not aware of any combination fo buttons that could do that.  If you reset the camera, then I will assume that the camera is not in video mode, nor that the mirror is locked up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

- Yes, camera still take pics
- Viewfinder display is nonexistent. Not dim or partially visible. it is just not there.
- I first notice the problem when a Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 was attached. I replaced it with Canon 17-55mm f2.8 but did not change anything.
-I put a new full battery again in the camera yesterday with no lens attached. Next day it was all drained.

Up to this point, it's obvious something internally wrong with the camera and will need to be serviced.
I will update this thread when new info is available.

Thank you all for your time.

Announcements