Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Sensor Banding?

ArolfM
Contributor

Shooting in C-Log, Canon RF 24-70 2.8, ISO: 400 SHUTTER: 1/125

Canon R6 Senor Banding (C-LOG)

11 REPLIES 11

This is the reply i got from Canon 

The purpose of using Log is to obtain the widest dynamic range as much as possible and as much information recorded as possible. In some cases banding may be recorded in low light areas which is your case. This is normal. The sample videos you sent has extreme contrast subjects (back light from window against dark clothes). Since the camera has to get the details from both extremes, banding/noise is recorded which is unavoidable. This is normal for log recordings. These may apply for other modes if the conditions are extreme. Like RAW, video recorded in Log usually needs to be graded (processed). This can be done by editing software such as Adobe premier Pro or Final cut pro X. If grading is not convenient then use other Gammas other than Log (Turn off Clog).

Docherty
Apprentice

FINALLY someone else is talking about this!!!

I find this subject so hard to believe. I realize I am late to the party on this topic...but my R6 and R7 has been bothering me in regards to this banding issue. I have contacted Canon about my struggles and have yet to hear anything back after nearly 6 weeks. 

I was at a professional workshop in the Salt Flats exposing my subjects to +2.0EV and STILL had banding occurring in the shadows and blacks. I discussed in detail with many high end videographers and they all agree this is a fundamental issue with the camera and not the user. Many of my fellow videographers who filmed the exact same location with me but with different brand cameras had zero banding in their image...

The biggest drawback to all of this...I avoid shooting Log and don't get my 10-bit colour because of that. Why on earth did I pay such good money for a camera that is supposed to shot 10-bit 4k60 when all it does is overheat in 4k and give me horizontal banding in Log. 

Disappointing to say the least. 

Announcements