cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 - Different WB on Capture than Set in Camera

trboggan
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a strange problem with the R5 I'm using and wondering if it's something anyone else has come across:

Occasionally an image will be captured at a totally different WB than what’s set in camera. Ex: I had an image come out at temp 2100, tint +23 when the camera is set to Flash which is around temp 7000, tint +17. It happens about once every 100 shots. So far it’s possible to fix it by changing the WB in post. I'm wondering if it's happened to anyone else, if there's a setting that's off, or if we have a buggy camera. 

Thanks,

Tom

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite

I'm assuming you're capturing in RAW to make it easy to adjust WB in post.  Am curious though what flash you're using that would be at 7000ºK.  Typically flash is around 5500 - 6000ºK.

When you're capturing these images, what do you have your WB set to? Auto, Preset, Kelvin?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky, Shooting raw and I'm using the Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14exII for medical photography. The camera's white balance is preset to Flash mode which usually comes out as 7000k when I view the files in Lightroom. 

Hmm, not sure what may be going on.  Oh, do you have any custom profile settings? I set my camera to Faithful.  Though no matter what you have it set to, WB and tint shouldn't vary wildly like that.

I always thought that choosing the Flash preset would use a constant value.  Though maybe it's communicating with the flash to arrive at different color temperatures?

Perhaps set your WB to Kelvin to a fixed value you typically get from the flash. Does that now give you the same exact K for every shot?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Good idea, we can try that. I also found the firmware was out of date so I updated that. I'll update the post if we find anything that fixes the issue. Thanks

click here to view the gallery
Announcements