cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R - Banding

Lbs26
Contributor

I trully hope the someone from Canon maybe see this post...

I have a EOS R camera with the latest firmware update 1.6 and i still have alot of banding in the long exposure photos.

I have tried:

-LENR-Long exposure noise reduction - does not resolve the issue

-Turn on and off silent shooting - does not resolve the issue

-trying to not underexpose too much,to not clip the shadows,and still after 2-3 stops of push banding is visible.

-trying to write to Canon - they told me that they do not see any banding,which in my photos is visible from 1 km.

I have talk to a few smart people and all this people told me that this problems comes from the Optical Black areas of the sensor.Must be calibrated the Raw files..i am not programmer and i do not know how to to this !

So...PLEASE CANON,do something...i have invested in alot of Canon glass,and i pay pretty good amount of money for this camera,i do not see any support ?!

You have shown already that in version 1.2 you have removed the banding,but not at 100%...plase release some new firmware or release some kind of CR3 to DNG converter that fixes this pretty bad image quality issues,show your support to all people who support you and buy your gear !

12 REPLIES 12

Lbs26
Contributor

Banding Blue ChannelHistogram

Here we can see a photo normaly exposed for the highlights of the city lights,and no clipping in the black points !I pushed 3 stops the exposure and we can see the banding how appears in the Blue Channel,sometimes appears in all 3 channels,sometimes in the Red...it is random.

@Lbs26 wrote:
Here we can see a photo normaly exposed for the highlights of the city lights,and no clipping in the black points !I pushed 3 stops the exposure and we can see the banding how appears in the Blue Channel,sometimes appears in all 3 channels,sometimes in the Red...it is random.

Pushing 3 stops is not insignificant.  Your image seems like it is being heavily processed.  Can you post a JPG of that shot that is not so heavily processed, so that we can evaluate the issue for ourselves.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

111B.jpg111.jpg111BC.jpg

Full screenshot of the image editing,as i said only 3 stops push which is perfectly fine for the dynamic range of this camera and nothing else,as you see the iso is perfect,image is not crashed...and the last image is only the B blue channel,to show you the banding problem.My old 6d pushed even 4 stops which has 1.5 stops less dynamic range never ever showed this banding,so PLEASE do not try to make this cheap attempts to say that i have destroyed my image,as Canon - Support say that they canot see any banding,maybe are paid by Canon to say this ?I am here to ask help,not to make fun of me,i am not amateur photographer,please show some respect !

I am sorry.  Screenshots are not helpful.  If you are not allowed to post the actual image, that's okay.

@Lbs26 wrote:

Full screenshot of the image editing,as i said only 3 stops push which is perfectly fine for the dynamic range of this camera and nothing else,as you see the iso is perfect,image is not crashed...and the last image is only the B blue channel,to show you the banding problem.My old 6d pushed even 4 stops which has 1.5 stops less dynamic range never ever showed this banding,so PLEASE do not try to make this cheap attempts to say that i have destroyed my image,as Canon - Support say that they canot see any banding,maybe are paid by Canon to say this ?

I am here to ask help,not to make fun of me,i am not amateur photographer,please show some respect !

No need to get angry.  I simply asked for an original copy of the image.  BTW, now you are sounding like an amateur. 

I do not think I will be able to help you.  Good Luck finding a solution.

Here is the original RAW -CR3 file,go and download it :

https://we.tl/t-EOQbChYBvV

I am not asking help form YOU,i only want somebody from CANON to read this and invent a solution,because as i mentioned this can be fixed with calibration of the optical black areas,but thats not my job to do,it is Canon's job to do.
Announcements