cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Mark II Video - FPS vs Shutter Speed

RebelPro
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I just sent a message to Canon's customer service letting them know about my huge disappointment with the 6D Mark II, not just because of my current issue but for all the other issues there are with this camera which has a lot of potential but they seem to have not put any desire into making this an awesome camera.

In this specific case, my latest issue is the video frame rate and the shutter speed. The "golden rule", so to speak, is that the shutter speed should be double of the frame rate (this is actually the 180 degree rule). This allows for a natural motion blur when taking videos with any camera. Today, as I was testing the camera with and without an ND filter, specifically for this same reason (when shooting video in a very bright day, and to avoid increasing the shutter speed, an ND filter is the best solution to get proper exposure), I noticed a very interesting and disturbing problem.

Anyone familiar with video knows that shooting at 23.98 fps or 24 fps is the best frame rate to achieve the closest cinematic look possible. When shooting at this rate, the closest shutter speed to 48 is 45, since the next step is 60. To my surprise, using the 45 shutter speed would create same effect on the video as when using a higher shutter speed than double the frame rate. The video looks ridiculously jumpy. Even when going down to 30 on the shutter speed, it still looks jumpy. Of course, the next number is 25 which at this point it creates too much motion blur.

My question is, how Canon missed this problem? Even more, how they haven't released a firmware update to fix this issue? Am I the only one with this problem because of my camera being bad or is this a common problem for all 6D Mark II owners?

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“Go into the C.Fn.I Exposure [1] , Exposure Level Increments menu. I guarantee you that it is set to [1/2] stop, and that if you reset it back to the default setting of [1/3], then all of those shutter speeds that you claim are missing will miraculously appear.”
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Look, your focus has been towards whether the shutter increments are 1/2 or 1/3, which I understand (and I did change just now), allowing for new shutter values. My focus is not whether my camera  jumps from 25, 30, 40, 50, 60 shutter speeds when shooting at 23.98 or that the shutter speed values are 25, 30, 45, 60 only (plus the higher numbers of course).

My problem, my issue, the reason I signed up in this forum and made this post is because when shooting at 23.98 frames per second and using the closest shutter speed value to 48 (whether it is 45 or 50) which is based on the 180 degree rule for videographers, the motion blur HAS to be the closest to natural looking as possible, and it is NOT. 

So once again, when applying this 180 degree rule, the lower the shutter speed the more motion blur you get, the higher the value of the shutter speed the less motion blur. So for you to keep focusing on the values and not accepting or understanding the fact that even using 45 or even 30, which are lower than 48, I still get video with less motion blur than what it should, it is absurd. 

@RebelPro wrote:

Look, your focus has been towards whether the shutter increments are 1/2 or 1/3, which I understand (and I did change just now), allowing for new shutter values.  

Congratulations.  You finally “fixed” it.  You can now set your shutter speeds properly for 24 fps video.

You are correct.  The focus of my comments have been directed towards your shutter increment setting.  I have purposely ignored your other comments because they are irrelevant to your original complaint about the restricted range of shutter speed values.

Wow, really? I honestly give up with you. All this back and forth and you still don't get it. 

The only thing I have left is either someone who really UNDERSTANDS my problem that hasn't been FIXED and really pays attention the actual problem I have. 

@RebelPro wrote:

“And as you will see in the video below, my camera, a 6D Mark II only has 25, 30, 45, 60 (and higher shutter speeds) at 23.98 fps. “

My focus is not whether my camera  jumps from 25, 30, 40, 50, 60 shutter speeds when shooting at 23.98 or that the shutter speed values are 25, 30, 45, 60 only (plus the higher numbers of course).

....... it is absurd. 

Your problems are 100% operator error.  The next time you want to shoot a test video of test target, I suggest that you print it out on a piece of paper and film the printed copy, instead of filming it being displayed on a computer monitor.

Once again, you are compleltely clueless about the topic, the issue, everything in general about this post. 

Announcements