cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read the shutter count of 5D Mark IV

escnor
Apprentice

My girlfriend wants to sell her camera, and people want to know the shutter count. I tried several software solutions on both Mac and PC and the software always recognizes the camera and display the correct model name but it always fails to show the shutter count.

I also tried an online services where you upload a picture and it tries to get the info there, but the 5D doesn't seem to add this info to the picture.

Note: It is not the original USB cable, it one from my Seagate external harddrive with USB 3.0

12 REPLIES 12

dhatch22
Apprentice

Not all canon models have the information attached to the image, the 5D MIV is one of them.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I feel Shutter Count is a misleading and completely useless statistic.  Because of the popularity of videography and Live View shooting, Shutter Count alone does not accurately document the wear and tear a camera body has gone through.  

You need to know how many hours of use the image sensor has experienced.  Professional video cameras keep track of this statistic as Runtime, which tells how many hours the sensor has been powered up and transmitting a video signal.  Note that this figure is independent of record time, which can tracked separately.

Video runtime issues aside, the biggest problem with Shutter Count are the inevitable list of questions that it raises.  How was it recorded?  When was it recorded?  How much use has the camera seen since the Count was recorded?

My response to those questions is that I will be happy to send the camera to Canon for official shutter count.  Of course, I am going to have to charge you extra for this service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Another thing shutter count does not account for is was the click a single shot or was it in high speed 10 frames per second mode. The latter being far more stressful on the mech.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements