cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Shopping Question

Pozo
Contributor

My wife and I got our first DSLR about a year ago - a T3i. We curently have the 18-135 f3.5-5.6, the 50mm 1.8, and the 70-300 f4-5.6. We have loved the whole system over the past year. The gear is fabulous and we are having a lot of fun with it and are getting some great images. I have really gotten into bird photography and shooting my neices and nephews playing  soccer and ice hockey. For that reason, I am considering the 7D as a future upgrade. My problem is that no store I know of actually has the 7D in stock, and I will definitely need to see, feel, and shoot the 7D a little before I ever buy it. Stores like Best Buy and Cardinal Camera have the Rebels and the 60D, but they do not have any 7D's or 5D's to look at. Does anybody know where I could check out a 7D? Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

"I’m saying they’re quite equal on several fronts."

And I am saying they are not. And that is where it ends. The OP is free to take which ever advice he/she wants.

I do not intend to get dragged into a back and forth with you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So I stopped at Costco and they had the 7D! I loved the size of it, and the bigger viewfinder seems really nice for composing shots. The burst rate felt ridiculous coming from the 3.7 of my t3i. I am satisfied with the IQ of the t3i, so I'm alright that the sensor on the 7D is the same. I think it will be my next camera, but I'm going to wait a while and hope a 7D mark 2 comes out to drive the price of the 7D down some more.

ScottyP
Authority

Go to COSTCO.  I am in Pennsylvania too, and Costco has them.  The only place I know of that does, actually, witihout going to New York.

They have a 7D on display, which they sell as part of a bundle with a lens, a flash and some stuff.  Their price is no longer very competetive given recent price drops on the camera, but you can pick it up, turn it on, play with it, etc..

For what it is worth, I have a T3i also.  It is my 2nd body now.  The 7D feels much larger and a bit heavier than the T3i, which I say as a good thing.  It has exactly the same sensor as T3i (and T2i and 60D).  While it has very good AF and thus MIGHT possibly focus better in low light, don't expect it to give any less noise or any less loss of detail at high ISO.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you for your input everyone, it is much appreciated!

Announcements