cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Astrophotography lenses for Canon EOS Rebel T6

Astrofishphoto
Apprentice
I am fairly new to astrophotography and I’ve been trying to find a lens for my Canon EOS Rebel T6, but I do not know which lenses would work best for Milky Way shots and basic star shots. Does anybody have recommendations on lenses that I can just directly use without having to buy an adapter for my canon? Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There are a few options.  I use a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cinema Lens.  There is a "photographer's" version of the same lens, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8.  These lenses are fully manual.  The camera will not know that there is a lens on its' mount.  

If you pay much more than $300 for one, then you paid too much.  They go on sale from time to time a places like B&H Photo Video.  There are two versions of the Cinema lens.  The optics are identical, but the more expensive one is made of for focus pullers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Rok is a great choice but you may be surprised how well your kit lens will do.  Try it. And, not wanting an almost useless, the Rok, for other photographic uses, try a better, fantastic, general zoom lens. Example the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Yes more expensive but far more useful.  You will love how it ups the IQ of your T6 for everything.

I have the excellent  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens another general purpose lens but for FF cameras.  It took this shot....

sky.jpg

Another, outstanding, general purpose lens would be the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon. It has a very fast, what you want, constant, f1.8 aperture.  It also will up your game for all the other photos you take.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements