cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Random underexposed image

Z0mbieRecruiter
Contributor

Hello. I hope you can help.  I own a Canon 6D and twice in the past week I was taking photos where a random image would come up underexposed.  I was shooting in manual mode, each image was identical other than a slightly different angle and shot only a few seconds from each other.  Looking back at the settings for each image, the settings are exactly the same (ISO 1600 F/5.6 1/60 sec).  While taking the photo, the image in my view finder also darkened.  Both times this happened using the same lens, so I suppose it is possibly a lens issue?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Z0mbieRecruiter wrote:
Thanks. This does make sense to me. What could cause this issue? Could the lens just need a good cleaning? I was using a Sigma 2.8 28-70MM lens.

I don't think cleaning will help.  It's probably some incompatibility between the 6D and this Sigma lens.  I'd do the following:

1. update the firmware for the lens

2. update the firmware for the camera (if not done already)

3. Turn off the camera's corrections like vignetting or peripheral illumination correction, etc.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If there is no difference in the EXIF data between good/bad shots (i.e., the ISO suddenly goes from 800 to 100), then it sounds like an aperture problem with the lens, especially if the viewfinder goes dark.

Thanks. This does make sense to me. What could cause this issue? Could the lens just need a good cleaning? I was using a Sigma 2.8 28-70MM lens.

I don't know. It seems weird that it would stick at a *smaller* aperture. I could understand overexposing by the aperture not switching from wide-open-focus-exposure-mode to picture-taking-mode, but going *past* the set aperture to a smaller one is unexpected.

You might see if Sigma has a firmware update.

Depending on your grip on the camera, is it possible that you might touching the DOF preview button on the camera body? I tend to forget that I even have that feature on my 60D.

Maybe cleaning the electrical contacts betwen the lens and body would help. Do you only have the problem with the one lens you mentioned? You're not using a flash for the shots in question, are you?

No, no flash being used. I could look into the contacts. I've been using this lens for the past 2-3 years and the camera for 1.5 years without problems until this past week. Thanks for the suggestions

@Z0mbieRecruiter wrote:

I don't think cleaning will help.  It's probably some incompatibility between the 6D and this Sigma lens.  I'd do the following:

1. update the firmware for the lens

2. update the firmware for the camera (if not done already)

3. Turn off the camera's corrections like vignetting or peripheral illumination correction, etc.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I have not updated the firmware for some time, so I will look into this as solution. Thank you for your help!

MichiganPhoto
Apprentice

I have this exact same issue.  Except, I'm using the "kit" Canon 24-105 F4L mostly but,  it also occurs on my other lenses...  A new Tamron 35mm 1.4, Canon 70-200 F4L, Tokina 11-16, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM.....  If it was a lens problem this would also occur on my Canon 6D Mark II, SL1, M50, and M100 (which it does not).  So, it is a camera problem 100%. I will reiterate - all of these lenses work perfectly on my other Canon rigs.

I figure something must be wrong with the shutter mechanism, causing it to occasionally go much faster for some reason (which is odd, as they would typically stick). I can often pull the shadows on these images and see what I was taking but, they're too underexposed to be "usable" for any client or publication.  I would love to know if there is any new information or others who have had this problem fixed?  The camera is old but, otherwise works flawlessly and I'd much prefer to keep it going over shelving it for something that might easily & affordably be repaired.  

I have cleaned the contacts recently, but have attempted no other service.

I also wanted to counter the "accepted solution" in this post which is patently incorrect for others who may stumble across this, as it is clearly not a lens issue.

Thanks!

Different shutter speeds? Then the light meter in the viewfinder may be off. Easy to test. Just use Live view.

Bright and dark images  even with the same exposure? Then check the aperture. Largest aperture and take a look from the front of the lens. Is the aperture moving when it shouldn't?

Announcements