cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1200D

Peter54x
Apprentice

Is it possible to create still images from movies made on a 1200D, please?

I am looking to overcome, when taking photos of wild birds, the problem with the loud noise made by the shutter/flapping mirror which tends to cause many birds to fly away! I thought I could try to produce images from movies which don't involve any camera noise. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Save your money, and invest in a top quality super telephoto lens.  The further you are away from your subjects, the less you  will intrude upon your subjects.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Peter54x wrote:

Is it possible to create still images from movies made on a 1200D, please?

I am looking to overcome, when taking photos of wild birds, the problem with the loud noise made by the shutter/flapping mirror which tends to cause many birds to fly away! I thought I could try to produce images from movies which don't involve any camera noise. 

Yes, however, it is easier to do it in post., after you have download the movie file to a computer. 

You should be aware of a couple of things, though.  The video resolution does not compare to the resolution of still photos.  Second, at some point you will have to make the shutter noise, to start the video, and you will make the noise again when you stop the video, closing the shutter.   Furthermore, you will not be able to keep the shutter open indefinitely because the image sensor will begin to build up heat.

How far away are the birds from you, and what focal length lens are you using? 

Thank you very much for that speedy and helpul advice.  I note that my movies of birds must not be too long in order to avoid creating additional problems. I bought this camera only last Thursday - it's my first DSLR - and I haven't used it outside yet so I cannot answer your focal length question.

The other problem I want to avoid is taking images of birds from a "hide" with the birds being about ten yards away and then seeing the bird(s) fly away when I take my shots and at the same time get annoyed looks from other photographers!

I will proceed with your suggestion of extracting images from movies loaded onto my computer and will give that a try now using the software that came with the camera. Many thanks, again! 

Save your money, and invest in a top quality super telephoto lens.  The further you are away from your subjects, the less you  will intrude upon your subjects.

That is very fair comment but the kingfisher I saw last year in a wood near me tends to rest, when it comes close, on a branch very near to the hide. What I will do, though, is try to get good photos of it and other birds when they are much further away. Thanks again.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements