cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

faulty 100-400 II?

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello Guys

I bought a grey import a mk2  100-400 and the focus seems very slow I have seen other reviews that show it faster please take a look at it and maybe you can help.

https://youtu.be/JKrXrGyA9eQ

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

My internet service is too slow for videos so be advised that AF speed depends just as much on the body as it does the lens, & is effected by whether or not you have the limiter switch set appropriately. It also can be influenced by the contrast & light falling on your target.

Just how much real world experience do you have with your current gear?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... I have seen other reviews that show it faster ..."

You made two mistakes.  You read too many reviews and you bought grey market.  Stop with all the reviews and just use your gear.  You don't gain experience sitting behind that keyboard.  Smiley Frustrated

BTW, grey market has nothing to do with the lens itself. They are all identical.  You just don't get the good warranty or service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hi I spent a few days shooting with the lens and I found focus very slow. even my tests i did showed this in fact the focus on my canon 300 prime is quicker even with a extender on it. I need a lens that will focus when it counts. I also noticed the focusing on the 70-200 with extender was just as slow as the 100-400 so do not seem a point in using the 100-400 over my 70-200 or 300 prime with 1.4.x

You have also complained about your old batteries being drained too quickly when you use the 100-400, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Paul,

"...  I found focus very slow. ..."

Of course not seeing exactly what you are, I really can't say much.  But the ef 70-200mm f2.8L focuses very fast, to me, on my 1D Mk IV.  Even with the 1.4x II extender on it.  Any prime like the 300mm prime is going to focus faster.  Even with an extender on it most likely.  My ef 300mm f4 prime is qiuck and extremely accurate.

The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon is probably quicker at focusing then the ef 100-400mm. Just a guess and they may be close but I never actually measured them. I have sold my ef 100-400mm in favor of the Siggy.

If all your lenses seem slow to gain focus perhaps you should look elsewhere.  It might not be a lens issue!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements