cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom ring is stuck above maximum zoom, lens rattles, and focus ring barely moves

sam383
Apprentice

Hello. I use a Canon EOS Rebel T7 and I use a Canon EF 75-300mm and 18-55mm. Recently, my camera starting making a shaking noise. It was only yesterday when the focus ring started to move very slowly, as if you were moving it with AF on, but AF wasn't on and it wasn't making that noise it makes when you move the focus ring with AF on. Today, though, I was out taking pictures of birds when I noticed my focus rings movement was slower than ever, and got really slow when you pointed the camera up. My focus ring also barely moved, and got stuck a couple of times. It is currently stuck above 300mm, but 300mm is the maximum zoom, so I am confused. It also said there was faulty connection between the body and the lens, but for some reason taking the battery out of the camera and putting it back on got rid of the message. My 18-55mm works perfectly fine, so I know it's not the camera body. Please help. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The 75-300 is a budget lens. You can look into getting it repaired by Canon, but it might not be worth it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The 75-300 is a budget lens. You can look into getting it repaired by Canon, but it might not be worth it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It does sound like the 75-300mm f/4-5.6 has cashed in its chips. It isn't a good candidate for repair, IMHO. New ones and I believe they are up to version 3 would be the better way to proceed.  Under $200 new and around $100 used.  It will be hard to get a repair under a hundred bucks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you really want to improved the lens performance in this range don't buy another 75-300, get one of the 70-300 units.  They are far more robust, have better IS and optics.  For a review of the options, with images, see THIS POST 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements