cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom not working on 70-200 mm

Chancemahony
Contributor

I bought a Cannon 70-200 mm 2.8 L USM lens and it was just delivered. The camera I'm using is a Cannon EOS Rebel T5. I used the lense for the first time and it cannot zoom. when i turn the zoom ring all it controls is the focus the zoom does not change. Im unsure if the lense is locked or some setting is messing it up, or if the lense has a problem or I just may have bought the wrong lense. Can anyone help me

18 REPLIES 18

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Chance:

Under normal circumstances, the 70-200 should zoom fine with your camera.

Just to make sure - this lens does not extend when being zoomed, so the only way you will know is to look through the viewfinder and you will see the result as the view magnifies.  Is it the case that you can see no zooming effect when you try to do so?

Where did you source the 70-200 from?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

When I look through the veiwfinder I don’t notice any zoom difference. When I take a photo at different zoom ranges I don’t see any difference.

I have noticed when I use the auto focus the dial that shows my zoom automatically changes not sure if that is causing any problems 

"auto focus the dial that shows my zoom automatically changes"

That is probably the focus distance, not the zoom.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you sure you are turning the right ring? The zoom ring is closest to the camera:

Untitled.jpg

I only have one ring

Can you please post a photograph of your lens?  All EF 70-200 lenses look like the picture that @KVBarkely presented.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

My colleague Keith is absolutely correct.   Did you make the purchase expecting to buy a EF 70-200 lens and, if so, did the product description actually use those exact values?  This is, is this an incorrect listing or did you mis-read it?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements