cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 be perfect for my Canon R7

yesort
Apprentice

So beginner photographer here. I bought the R7 on eBay with a 70-200 lens and a kit lense. Absolutely love the 70-200 lens and that’s for my motorsport photography that I want to get into.

But I also want to do travel/street/landscape photography and ideally want one lense that would suit it all. Watched loads of reviews about prime lenses but prime lenses, despite having really nice aperture they seem limiting.

And I saw a review about the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and it seems the guy was praising it a ton. The only real downside to me is the fact it doesn’t have image stabilisation but neither do the prime lenses and the R7 camera has a built in IS.

Just want peoples thoughts. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings, 

Before we start, was this camera purchase new or used?

If new, for your benefit and protection, did your R7 and lens come with USA warranty cards?  I'm not trying to detract from the excitement of your new camera, but it's really important that the purchase if new isn't gray market.

The sigma 18-50 was recently released.  The reviews appear to be positive.  Based on my years of experience with this brand, I expect the sigma lens to perform well.  The things I might look for in the reviews. Is there any amount of barrel distortion or vignetting at 18 mm and wide open.  It could be non-existent or easily correctable if present

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Is there any amount of barrel distortion or vignetting at 18 mm and wide open."

This has almost become a moot point with the great editors we have today and lens correction.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  I saw a review about the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and it seems the guy was praising it a ton."

The review is worth every penny you paid for it. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements