cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which mount adapter, EF-EOS R or M, can I use for EOS 1DX Mark III?

StraightShooter
Apprentice

I just bought the Canon EOS 1DX Mark III, and have an EF camera (1 red circle on lens mount). According to Canon's site, I should use EF-EOS R or M. https://www.canon-europe.com/lenses/tech-guide/compatibility/

I don't know which mount adapter to use, unless I'm misunderstanding and I can use either.

19 REPLIES 19

Hi Trevor there is a mistake in the chart pertaining to EF-M lenses being compatible with an adapter on an APS-C DSLR.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you Demetrius, already corrected, but thanks for finding it and letting me know! Hopefully all sorted now.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hey we all make mistakes especially if we're trying to make compatibility charts on the fly.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I've been having a few challenges lately.  I am being treated for cancer and it seems to have spawned a stroke as well.  I try my best to check, but sometimes I miss things.  I do welcome any corrections that folks find - I'm not too proud to be corrected!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Lotus7
Rising Star

Good catch!  Wonder who prepared that chart?  That A should be a N. 

Physically it's not possible optically without the use of relatively expensive relay or GRIN optics whose expense would make such an adapter financially not viable. EOS M lenses have a very short 18 mm flange/sensor distance which just doesn't work with the 44 mm APS-C DSLRs flange distance.

Better late than never!  I made the chart on the fly, so the error was mine, but I fixed the error (thanks to all again for spotting that), and hopefully there are no further corrections!

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Trevor I haven't had a stroke ...yet, BTW I certainly hope you make a full recovery, and had trouble following the OP's post.

"I just bought the Canon EOS 1DX Mark III, and have an EF camera ..."

My understanding is he owns a 1DX Mk III. My question is, you bought a $6500 dollar camera and don't know what lenses it uses?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EB: "My question is, you bought a $6500 dollar camera and don't know what lenses it uses?"

WHAT?  $6500 for a camera, and you're saying he/she has to buy something called a "lens" too?😊

(sorry - couldn't resist)

I heard that somewhere.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your kind words Ernie.   I am determined to get past this, but I shall likely have the odd SNAFU from time to time! 🙄

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements