cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which all-encompassing lens should I get?

ojiolkem
Apprentice

So I have a 6D Mark II and I’m looking to buy a new lens. I want an all encompassing lens that I can use for pretty much any application. I was looking at the EF 24-105mm f/4 IS USM and was wondering if this is a good option. I was also wonder if it’s drastically different from the IS II USM. Thanks for the advice.

4 REPLIES 4

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Helo ojiolken, 

I ownt the RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and  it is a great performer that pairs perfectly with the EOS R6 M2. It is my go to general,  all around lens. The lens is relatively compact and lightweight, offers impressive sharpness and is weather sealed – in all, a great complement to Canon's new mirrorless system.  Checkout this link to learn more.

https://youtu.be/gLLFtK01kDs?si=w6skQxgJAgSXL-Ad

It compares the RF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM lens to the RF 24-70mm f2.8.  Check it out and watch it till the end to see which one he chooses !

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

The OP has the EOS 6D Mark II so an RF lens won't work for the OP. So the most current lens would be the EF 24-105mm F/4L IS II USM lens. Which is a very good general purpose lens for the OP. Canon has made multiple super zoom lenses for the EF Mount such as the EF 28-300mm F/3.5-5.6L IS USM or EF 35-350mm F/3.5-5.6L USM lens. But I'd look into the EF Trinity instead of a super zoom lens. Due to the large zoom ratios and variable apertures. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings, 

I think joe's assessment of the 24-105 is fair. There is never a single lens solution.  There is always going to be a situation where a lens isn't wide enough or long enough for the given shooting situation.  Zooms are my preference over primes.  

When buying a lens were multiple variants exist, example Mark I Mark II Mark IIII, I'd probably try to buy the most recent version.  Not because it might have better image quality, but because it may still be serviceable by Canon.  Buying an older lens which is still serviceable would be my preference.  You might as well have it if it's available.

The 24-105 is one of Canon's most popular everyday walk around lenses.  Whole it won't be perfect for every shooting situation. It does offer a great deal of versatility.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There is no such thing really as an "all-encompassing" lens.   A lens is a series of compromises between which one balances the focal range, available apertures, quality of image and price. You can have a high-quality, fast lens with some focal range limits, a lens with a huge focal range and usually some aperture restrictions, such as getting darker as one zooms in. 

Within the Canon range, as my other colleagues have confirmed, the EF 24-105L f/4 is the default general-purpose lens for a full-frame DSLR.  Some time ago,  as Demetrius has alluded to, Canon did make a couple of super zoom lenses, and I had one: fabulous optic but cost a fortune and was extremely big and heavy.  If you want to photograph subjects further away, then you would be looking at an additional lens: something like the EF 100-400L MkII. 

Third-party lens makers: particularly Tamron and Sigma, do make lenses of quality with longer focal ranges - but you do need to make sure that they are designed for full-frame cameras as their optics are not labelled EF or EF-S to differentiate.   As the move to the R-series continues, the range of lenses available is reducing accordingly.
When considering 3rd-party lenses take into account that they are not guaranteed by Canon to be compatible with Canon RF mount cameras, should you ever make the move to a MILC.  There is a link on Sigma's site at the base of each lens spec page that offers some guidance: Camera Compatibility | Support | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)

Sigma makes an EF version of the 24-105 that is generally regarded as sharper across the range and is of equal build quality to the original Canon version (see: SIGMA 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | Art | SIGMA Corporation of America (sigmaphoto.com))
If you want to achieve a longer reach, then something like the Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C is a good alternative.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements