cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using EF-RF adapter with Tamron lens on EOS R5

taradeone
Contributor

I recently purchased a Canon EOS R5 and have been using it with an RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens. For wildlife photography and videography, I am now looking to get a bigger zoom lens, preferably between 600mm to 800mm, to enhance my photography experience. While the new RF 200-800mm F6.3-9 IS USM lens is my top choice, I am hesitant about the backorder period. 

I am on a more strict budget so I am considering purchasing an EF-to-RF adapter to use with an EF lens or using a third-party lens. After researching, I found the Tamron - SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Telephoto Zoom Lens, which is listed for $800 used and is more budget-friendly than the RF 100-500 lens.

I am curious to know whether using an EF-RF adapter with the Tamron 150-600mm lens would still provide me with good quality. Additionally, I am interested to know if anyone would recommend using this lens with a Canon R5.

Lastly, I am eager to know when the RF 200-800mm lens will be back in stock. Would anyone know the timeframe of that?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think these four lenses are your best options for wildlife.

Canon RF 200-800

Sigma EF 60-600

Sigma EF 150-600

Tamron EF 150-600 G2

Depending on your intended output, using the Sigma or Tamron in full frame or crop mode will deliver very nice images.

Canon has answered these popular EF series lenses with its own native RF 200-800.  It's about double the price of the EF lenses (new) mentioned above and has received very favorable reviews.

As you know it's availability is limited.  Unfortunately there's no way to give an accurate date for general availability. Some strategies would be to buy one and wait for the retailer to fulfill the order.  Some options are Canon, B&H Photo or Adorama. Another option would be a local camera store.  I've heard from others who have been lucky in this way. 

I do own the Sigma 150-600 and RF 100-500.  For birds and wildlife in general having the extra 100mm is nice.  You may also want to consider the Sigma 60-600.  All things considered, the RF 100-500 is one of my favorite lenses.  It's sharp and focus is very fast.  I've since retired all of my EF glass, but understand the financial appeal of used EF lenses.  I do not recommend buying brand new EF glass at this point.

You're not going to have any still image issues with any of the lenses mentioned.  Make sure you use a Canon branded adapter if applicable.  I cannot comment on video performance.  I don't have the R5, I own an R5 C.  It's Cinema mode does not like Tamron lenses.  I believe a Tamron / Sigma lens will work fine on an R5 in video mode however.

Ultimately my preference is RF glass on an R series body.  Performance and reliability are unmatched.  

I'm sure the Sigma and Tamron lenses are available for rent.  You can check on the Canon RF as well, then compare before you commit.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't know if Rick's list is in best lens order or simply a list of the current stock of super zoom tele lenses. I have owned and tested all but the newest Sigma 60-600mm super zoom. But if I were buying today I would get the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. It is the best albeit perhaps just a little bit but it is the best one of the current bunch. Plus it adds a bit more weather sealing than the Sigma unless you buy the Sport. The only downside to the Sport either the 150-600mm or the 60-600mm is weight. They are heavy and that turns most people off. My goto lens is the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports Lens. The weight doesn't bother me as I got used to heavy gear several decades ago.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements