cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra Wide Zoom Lens Clarification

HokeyHokey
Contributor

This is a really dumb question, but are "Ultra-Wide Zoom" lenses the same as an ultra-wide angle? I see standard wide angles are very short, but no short ultra-wide angles. The only ultra-wide anything I see is ultra-wide zoom.

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You might find this thread useful: Solved: Re: Canon Rebel T7 DSLR comability with SLR Lens - Canon Community:

Still, if you want to get to the crunch:

Be aware that because your camera has a smaller sensor than a FF camera, it will actually provide a Field of View (what the sensor actually captures) equivalent to that of a lens with a focal length 1.6 times that which is written on the lens - which will have a definitely narrower FoV than it would on a full-frame body.

To give you an idea, here is a photo taken with a similarly crop sensor body, the Canon D30 with the 17-40mm zoom at its widest - i.e. 17mm Focal Length but giving a FoV of 27mm.

CRW_0212.jpg

One of the most renowned real estate photographers in the US, Scott Hargis, uses a Canon EF17-40, but with a full-frame camera that will give an actual 17-40 FoV performance, so to get a similar FoV on your camera to that, the EF-S 10-22 (an EF-S lens is designed for a crop-sensor body) would give you that extra angle (it's FoV is 16mm- 35mm).  I have one, and it's a good lens.   Scott has some videos on real estate photography and has an excellent e-book available called Lighting Interiors - a very instructive read.

Like any ultra wide angle you need to make sure that your verticals are vertical - introducing tilt into images creates a sense of tension, and makes the wall feel like they are falling in on you, and you don't want that in real estate images.

Here are a couple of samples of the kind of thing I think you are looking for. Both taken with the EF-S10-22mm @ 10mm (so FoV 16mm).

IMG_3003a copy.jpgIMG_2976a LR copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting question. I like to read posts and replies for the info. Never know when one will have a similar problem or question.

"The only dumb question is the one not asked."- Dad

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The takeaway here is focal length (FL) is focal length.  No matter what context it is used in. In this case prime lens vs zoom lens. Once a lens is ground it can not change its FL. So, zoom to prime or crop to FF the FL is always the same.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements