cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The difference between DSLR and Mirrorless, Help please

Cas85
Apprentice

Hi there I am fairly new to learning more about photography, however I have been taking photos for over 20 years. I have a canon eos rebel T5 and recently bought a canon FD NFD 800 mm f 5.6 L Ultra. Which I am defeated to find does not fit my camera. I asked a local photographer what camera I would need. She said a Canon Full Frame. However she’s a Nikon girly and can’t give more info….Can anyone please help guide me on which camera to buy that will heighten my photography of nature in Alaska please.  Also can someone explain the difference between DSLR and mirror less ? Just needing a nice camera to fit lens I paid way too much for. Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The Ed Mika adapters were pretty expensive, and only for certain lenses."

Expensive, yes, but they work and one is made especially for that lens. It is a semi-permanent mount replacement.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The 800mm in this thread is limited for many reasons. Not because of its mount, but also because of focal length.  This FL is basically a telescope for your camera.  Its not a great candidate for Alaska unless you are planning to set up somewhere and wait.  You'll miss a lot of beautiful scenery.  You can get a shot of a distant eagle, bear or glacier, but little else.  Its not practical for walking around either.  We were in Alaska last August.  To really see Alaska, there is a lot of walking and hiking involved.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements