BrokenCanon
Contributor

deleted

10 REPLIES 10

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@BrokenCanon wrote:

This all started when I was searching for a polarization or CPL for my Canon M6. But after testing 15 differant filters in conjunction with my camera, none of these filters worked. No matter what settings and adjustments, I was not able to achieve any sort of polarization to my images.

I am sure there are very many Canon M6 users who have no problem using CPL filters. What makes your situation so different? 

I also don't understand how a piece of tinted resin can act as a polarizer.

Mike Sowsun

Isn't this basically a polarizing gel?  Rosco (and other brands) have such gels already.  e.g. their part #7300 which has a 38% transmission (1.5 stops).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I seriously doubt that a "sheet of tinted plastic/resin" can act as a true polarizer. And even if it could, would it be a linear or circular polarizer? 

Modern digital SLR cameras need circular polarizer to maintain accurate auto-focus and/or auto-exposure. 

Mike Sowsun

BrokenCanon
Contributor

deleted

I don't want to throw water on your parade, or bridge, but I could do that in Photoshop and no filter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@BrokenCanon wrote:

Check out what the filter does to the water below this bridge:

imageedit_6_7000460454.jpg

Either you believe it or you don't. Fortunately I found several people/photographers who wanted to be product testers for us and we can't wait to see their results.

The water in the foreground has a lot of glare. A Polarizer can remove that glare.

It appears you don't understand what Polarizers do. The fact that 15 different Polarizers didn't meet your expectations seems to confirm this. 

Please post identical photo taken with and without your "plastic/resin" filter so you can prove us wrong. 

Mike Sowsun

BrokenCanon
Contributor

It's purity obvious that even this canon community is against my findings. Therefore I've requested that thsi topic be removed or closed.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Not against it at all, I am just trying to understand as the others I’m sure are, it. You must see or know of a reason or see a need for going to this effort.
That’s why we question it. What you offered as a example I could do in Photoshop to any picture.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've had a polarizing gel (Rosco) in by B&H wish list for a long time now.  Even a small sheet is pricey.  If I ever get one, will run some experiments with my speedlites.  Then additionally add a CPL on my lens.

I've heard that if you polarize your lighting with said gels, it can help light up say artwork to remove all specular highlights.

And, if used in conjunction with a CPL on the lens, and you photograph clear plastic objects, you can end up with some very interesting outcomes.

Having said all that, I totally agree that a good CPL is best to use.  I personally have B+W high-transmission CPLs.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements