cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starburst with the new "nifty fifty?"

mogrizzly493
Apprentice

Has anyone gotten starburst to appear on images with an apperature of 15 or smaller on the 50mm 1.8 stm?  A few of my manual lenses performs like that and even my kit zoom lens allows for it, so I'm testing to see and no luck discovering if it will pull it off.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try a 'Starburst' filter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, you can make "Starbursts" or "Sunstars" with the EF 50mm STM. This lens has 7 aperture blades so it gives 14 points of light.

I have never tired it outdoors, but here are a few f/22 images I just made with a flashlight in my home.  

5D3_2020.JPG5D3_2023.JPG5D3_2028.JPG

Mike Sowsun

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When light is forced through a tight aperture, each edge will create a diffraction spike... and the spike will go both inward and outward (perpendicular) to that edge.  

If a lens has an even number of aperture blades -- say 8 so the aperture has an octogan shape like a "Stop" sign -- then aperture blades on opposite sides of the lens are parallel and this causes the diffractions pikes that pair blades to be overlaid.  You will only 8 spikes.  

If the lens has an odd number of blades (say 7), then there aren't any parallel blade edges and that means the and you'd see 14 spikes from a 7 blade aperture (or 18 spikes from a 9 blade aperture.)

The spikes are technically always present but they get longer as the aperture size gets smaller... so they're only really obvious when you use very high f-stops (e.g. f/16 will show them... but f/22 will show them much stronger... f/32 would be even stronger yet.)

Note that it does require a somewhat bright point of light to create the spikes.

If you wanted to photograph, say, holiday lighting... and you wanted every miniature light to create a "star" then you'd probably have an easier time doing it with a cross-screen filter.   I have a couple of these... a B+W brand 4x cross-screen filter as well as a 6x cross-screen filter (they make them in 8x as well.)  That's a glass filter that threads onto the front of your lens but it has etched lines it it (like micro-prisms) to create the diffraction spikes.  Some versions of this filter have very thin wires embedded in the glass.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
click here to view the gallery
Announcements