cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 stm or EF 24-105 f/4L usm

harotpa
Apprentice

Confused between these two lenses. My canera body us RP and I found the f/4-7.1 for $319 et canon (refurb, new is $400) and Ef f/4L for $450 at mpb (excellent - refurb). Is it worth getting the EF as it is going to be more costly and I will need an adapter to use it in my RP? Or should I go with the RF 24-105 f/4-7.1? The EF lens is much older compared to the rf kit lens.

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The EF model needs a mount adapter. It also won't be compatible with all features the camera offers. Such as 12 fps or Eye detect AF. It will cause the camera to function in a degraded manner. Have you considered the RF 24-105 F/4L IS USM lens. If out of budget look into the RF 24-105mm F/4-7.1 IS STM lens. Stick with RF Mount lenses for your camera. Unless there is NO RF Mount equivalent lens available.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I found the (RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 stm) f/4-7.1 for $319 et canon (refurb, new is $400) ..."

Put that in your cart and buy it. Forget EF even exists. There is a lot to be said for the great advantage of a constant f4 aperture but not at the fact it is an EF and the other is your native RF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

" I found the (RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 stm) f/4-7.1 for $319 et canon (refurb, new is $400) . "

Both lenses are a good fit with the EOS RP.  Given a choice I would lean toward the native lens mount, the RF 24-105mm f/4.7.1.  It will not be best performer in low light, but neither is the EF 24-105mm f/4.  

The EF model is an older design that probably cannot keep up with later R Series camera more advanced AF tracking features.  The RF lens should keep up, no doubt about it.  Why is this important?  If you want to shoot video, then you definitely will prefer the RF lens.

You say that the RF lens is a refurbished model.  The only source for refurbished gear that I use is Canon USA.  MPB is a reputable source for used camera gear.  But I was not aware that they now sold “refurbished” gear.  

Beware of “renewed” camera gear being sold in the Amazon Marketplace and other sources.  That gear is not the same as “refurbished”.  If it were, then they should actually call it “refurbished.”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Beware of “renewed” camera gear being sold in the Amazon Marketplace and other sources.  That gear is not the same as “refurbished”."

To the OP, take heed and this seriously, don't be fooled.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have the RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 lens.  I didn't really want it, but back in November B&H had a quick sale that had the R6 Mk ll with this lens marked down $500, which brought it down to the same price as the body only... so naturally I figured "free lens, why not?".  

So fast forward 6 months with me using this lens on both the R6 Mk ll and the R8... and it has become one of my most used lenses (right behind the EF 17-40mm F/4L).  I would buy this in a heartbeat over the EF version.  The advance focus features of the RF version are crazy fast!

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses
Announcements