cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100 F/2.8 Macro Focus Shift Concerns

RRotunno
Apprentice

I’m currently shooting with an R5 and am looking to invest in a macro lens. I’m coming from Sony and while the RF100 would seem like the obvious choice I’m concerned about the focus shift issue that’s been brought up over time. This lens would be dedicated for macro and always manually focused. I generally shoot from F/2.8 to F/5.6. I tend to think that the focus shift is blown out of proportion (especially given my intended use) but I’d like to hear from anyone who has experience with this lens before I plunk down my hard earned $. Thanks in advance. Please excuse the typo in the subject line…typing while boarding a plane is never a good idea.

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

:...  always manually focused.  I generally shoot from F/2.8 to F/5.6."

Once the aperture is locked, say f2.8, in place as in manual mode and the lens manually focused there is no focus shift.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Perhaps you don't understand what focus shift is.

Focus shift happens when you focus your camera in AF mode which is done at wide open aperture then the shot taken but the exposure needs to stop down to f5.6 or what ever. If you are using manual mode and focusing manually, focus shift can't happen unless you then change the aperture.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You can edit the title and message body if you wish. One of the mods will likely fix it if you don't  RF100

Here's another thread:

Focus shift with RF 100mm f2.8L macro lens - Canon Community

@FloridaDrafter (Newton) mentioned he has posted many photos in his album.

I've had mine for about a year.  I think the behavior might be related to the spherical  aberration feature.  This allows the entire lens group to be shifted fore or aft to soften or strengthen bokeh in front or in back of the point of focus.  I rarely use it, and primarily use this lens for video with 1x-3x mag.  This is a great lens for flowers and bugs.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks to all, for me this won’t be an issue then. I do understand the concept of focus shift but surprisingly no one has been able to provide a clear answer on how it might affect a scenario where one sets a given aperture and then focuses manually (up until now of course). If I change the aperture from there I will of course refocus; not a problem. Thank you Canon Communty!

Aurora4233
Enthusiast

Ditto to what Rick said 'It's a great lens for flowers and bugs' and I haven't had any trouble with it.  When I bought the EF version of this a thousand years ago it was dubbed the lens with the 'most fun per dollar' and I feel the same about this RF version.  It doesn't come out often but when it does it is remarkable and fun.

I've added a handful of pics I've taken with it and you can see it can get right up into whatever you're trying to document.  I'm going to use it for a series of head/modeling shots this week because it sits right between the 85mm and 135mm sweet spot for portraiture and if it behaves anywhere near the EF version I know everyone will be thrilled.

I'd buy it again without hesitation!  Go for it.

Chris

100 mm Macro 1st 0990.JPG100 mm Macro 1st 1000.JPG100 mm Macro 1st 1021.JPGLexington Summer 2023 2129.JPGLexington Summer 2023 2148.JPG

Great images Chris! Thank you for sharing them. Flowers and insects are right up my alley as I live in the desert. If I’m not shooting long exposure astrophotography then I’m shooting Macro and wildlife. I’ve been very happy with the RF 100-500 and am glad to be back with Canon (although I never completely left to begin with as I would never sell my modded 6D).

March411
Rising Star

I read many of the same reviews as you did and then reached out directly to some members here that owned the lens and that quickly put my concerns to rest. I bought mine in May and have been very pleased with the results and have had zero issues with focus shift so far.

It does take some tack sharp images. Single exposure, no stacking.
Racing Bee.jpg

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for post processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/
click here to view the gallery
Announcements