cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-400 IS USM help! - Bird photography question

reheg
Apprentice

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster looking for some help with choosing new gear. I currently use a Nikon l340 bridge camera that I've had for like 10 years, but its on its last legs and keeps freezing on me. Basically I'm looking into replacing it with the Canon R10 and getting the Rf 100-400 IS USM lens and maybe the RF 35mm Macro lens to get me started https://vlc.onl/ .

I photograph mainly butterflies and plants/leaves but I've just got hooked on birding and my l340 goes too blurry.

My question is will the R10/100-400 combo be able to photograph birds at say 10+ meters away (I know it will work for butterflies) or would I be better off getting a superzoom bridge camera?

I don't mind getting the 1.4 RF extender if that makes a big difference.

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

I probably should re-emphasize "to use on safari..." as the circumstance for that statement. Not to appear contradictory, but in other situations, the light weight and extreme range make this 600mm (or 800mm) lens the preferred lens.  On a safari, weight really isn't a big issue but flexibility in zoom range is extremely important.  When you are carrying your own equipment on your back, weight is a consideration, and, for wildlife, which is mostly "observe-from-a-distance" photography (as johnmoyer points out from his images) the wildlife is most likely not going to be coming your way - unless they are charging you for invading their space, in which case, it doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have as you're running as fast as you can away... 😉  - and will not let you get to close to them.  For bald eagles, for example, getting shots of them feeding on the shore or resting up in the trees, 100m is about as close as you'll get as they have an innate sense of when you get "too close" and will take off.  

To your point about the new RF200-800, this is a nice addition, depending on, as I think we've all agreed, on what situation you'll be using it in... It's a big, heavy monster, and while that might not be a factor in, say, a safari, carrying it around in a backpack all day might be.  Also, on safari, I think a minimum 200mm would not work in many circumstances as that would often be "too close".  200mm would be a bit too close. ;-)200mm would be a bit too close. 😉

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... 10 years going to 6 NatGeo live presentations a year, ..."

In my job, 40 years, we had National Geographic staff photographers in the plant several times. This was back when NatGeo had a photography staff. The assignments are given to freelance photographers now.  There are no “Staff” photographers at National Geographic any more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

garymak
Enthusiast

And NatGeo is owned by Disney now!  

I don't recall any of the NatGeo presenters ever saying they were "on staff" - they are usually "fellows" working on long-term project grants, or individual grants for short-term project assignments, or specific assignments within their field of photography.  Nonetheless, all backed by Disney, er, NatGeo!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements