cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent the RF 100-500 from Shutting Off Stabilization on Tripods?

InternalRevenue
Contributor

Hello all,

R7 and RF 100-500mm owner here looking to see if there's a way to prevent the lens from automatically turning off it's stabilization in video mode when mounted on a tripod, as it seems to do. I tested this with all three IS modes, at all levels of digital stabilization, and even mounted the camera body itself to the tripod instead of to the mount but it behaved the same with every condition.

Handheld, the stabilization works as one would expect, but about between 3-10 seconds after I mount it to a tripod (I use a quick attach adapter) it will seemingly shut off and any kind of tap, gentle movement, or even just half pressing the record button results in massive amounts of jitter (whether it’s recording or not changes nothing). BEFORE those 3-10 seconds however, the same tapping etc. movements are substantially dampened or even eliminated as presumably the IS is still active.

My previous lens was an EF 100-400ii with the 1.4x extender, and that did not suffer from jitter either at similar focal lengths, probably because the stabilizer was constantly running. Is there anyway to force the RF 100-500 to stay stabilized while on the same tripod as well, whether in-camera or some sort of lens setting? As of right now the thing is almost completely useless for tripod birding videos, and a heavier tripod is not an option due to being used on hikes.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“  The Sigma 18-35 doesn't do it with IBIS on, even magnified 10x. MF or AF, doesn't make a difference. “

I understood the issue as being the rig is unstable and jittery when you touch it.  The issue is more apparent when using a heavier rig and longer focal lengths.

I got similar results with a Manfrotto 502AH head mounted to an Induro Series 4 tripod with a 100mm bowl.  If I try to turn the zoom or focus rings, the rig is a little jittery.  But it quickly subsides. 

If I mount the same rig on a smaller tripod with a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head like you see in the photo, then the issue all but goes away.  The Sigma 150-600mm is a much heavier lens, as is the 5Dsr with a grip being a heavier camera, than your R7 and RF lens. 

Video heads are simply not as heavy duty and strong as other types of heads. Even though the 500 head is rated for an impressive 17 pounds, it doesn’t perform as well with heavier loads.

My 502 head is no different. It’s absolutely great with loads to up about 3-4 pounds, which is where it begins to struggle. The same is true for my son’s 504 head. 

All gear has limits. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You can try rebalancing the entire rig and cranking down the dampening, which helps, but the issue never goes away. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements