cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pancake lens for RF mount?

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Nikon have released a proper pancake lens for their Z series cameras.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/globalassets/product-images/3084000/3084044.jpg?width=400 

It's so small that it protrudes from the camera body less than the handgrip does. Apparently it's a very high quality lens, with aspherical element et al.

How cool would it be if we had a similar lens for our RF mount cameras?

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.
5 REPLIES 5

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

One of my favorite lenses for my M50 is the EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake. With it mounted I can literally toss my camera into a pocket, and it takes incredibly sharp photos to boot (see attached). There was a rumor that an RF-S version would be announced along with the R50, but that didn't happen. Then again, I suppose the full-frame folks like yourself would also appreciate such a lens, but without the crop they'd get with an RF-S version. It will be interesting to see how Canon sorts the whole thing out.IMG_5023_reduced.JPG

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

amfoto1
Authority

Even if Canon had intro'd a version of their 22mm for R-series cameras, it would be an RF-S lens and not much help on an R6 Mark II.

There is (was?) an EF 40mm pancake that could be adapted. But once it's adapted it will no longer be a pancake!

Sooner or later I imagine Canon will produce something similar for RF... but it might be a while.

In the meantime, there are some 3rd party lenses that are pretty compact. Fully manual... both focus and aperture... of course. (Need to go into the camera's menu and enable "Shoot without lens", because without any electronic communication, the camera won't know the lens is installed.)

For example, there's a TTArtisan 50mm f/2 that's quite compact. It also wouldn't cost much to try!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

I do actually own the EF 40mm, it's the only EF lens I have retained after switching to RF mount. But, as you say, with the adapter in place it isn't really a pancake lens, in fact it's as long as my RF 35mm f/1.8.

When I had a 7DmkII, I had the EF-S 24mm pancake which was a lovely lens.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

My 7D Mk II never see small lenses like the EF-S 24mm pancake. Just the opposite, they usually have 70-200s or longer on them! (Sports photography.)

I do have the EF-M 22mm for use on my M5. As krahe notes, it's a wonderful little lens! I hope Canon offers similar some day in RF mount (EF-M can't be adapted.) In fact, the 22mm is so small I felt uncomfortable using it... and the diminutive M5 for that matter. Fitted the 22mm with a 3rd party hood that's almost the same size as the lens and the camera with an L-bracket... Still all very compact, but much more comfortable size now for this old DSLR user! 😊

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I know some of you follow the same sources as I do. Three RF ultra wide primes were rumored to be announced first quarter of 2023.  So far we got the R8 and R50 with their respective kit lenses.  Next up is the EL-5 at the end of the month.  I could see myself being interested in a 35mm L prime if it ever became available.  That's wide enough for me.  Right now, a super zoom is next on my list.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements