cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for camera lens that works well for stop motion with a Rebel T7

brenden_div
Apprentice

I'm relatively new to the camera game and find it a bit overwhelming when looking for new pieces of gear to buy. I want to find a lens that would work well with lego stop motion. I don't have the highest of budget but just getting an idea of where to start looking would help a lot. I use an EOS Rebel T7. 

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What lens do you currently have. It should be one of the many variants of the EF-S 18-55mm lenses. If so please post the full model name of the lens. Also what is your budget for a new lens. Are you doing your work indoors or outdoors. If your doing your work indoors it will be challenging with your current lens to freeze action. Due to the lens having a slow aperture. All versions of the EF-S 18-55mm are variable aperture lenses. The widest open aperture is usually F/3.5-5.6 with most versions. The newest STM variant (version 2) is even slower at F/4-5.6 which allows less light to the camera. With variable aperture lenses the more you zoom in the less light enters in the camera. For instance at 18mm the widest available aperture is F/3.5 but at the longest focal length of 55mm the widest available aperture is F/5.6 which is slow for indoor shooting.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite

Stop motion work can be done with any lens.  It will depend upon how you want to frame things and what depth of field you'd desire for each scene of your animation.

Did you create storyboards for your idea?  Have you experimented with your current lens?  If so, what haven't you been able to do with it to reach your vision?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Without an actual budget, its hard to suggest something that is right for you. 

EF-S 17-55 f2.8 would likely be my first choice.  (of course others exist)

Please provide your budget? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Stop motion work can be done with any lens."

This is the correct answer. The kit lens you got with the T7 will do it. Stop action is more a camera thing than a lens.

"It will depend upon how you want to frame things and what depth of field you'd desire ..."

However to clarify DOF will mostly just be a matter if you want a very shallow DOF. Again your kit lens has the ability to achieve bigger DOF scenes.

"EF-S 17-55 f2.8 would likely be my first choice."

Mine two, I love that lens and if shallow DOF is desired it will provide a bit more than the kit lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I  have a T7 and use it for stop action. See my grandson's baseball photo in Share Your Photos. Stop action of ball coming off the bat. Suggestion: download the manual, have the camera in hand and start with some of the basics and go the index for specifics.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Note: not freezing action, but stop motion. i.e. with objects, position them, take an image, reposition them, take another image, and repeat.  The images will then make up frames of a movie/animation.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Almost any lens can work.  

First and foremost, you will want a tripod and head combination that is as robust as a tree trunk.  A tripod with 90 degree lateral arm might also be useful.  Here is an example of a lateral center column, but NOT a product recommendation.

841D6DDB-BDC4-4ABA-A8EA-1363C937A561.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements