cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FD 50mm f/1.2 L focus ring won't move after drop

tgwkirsch
Apprentice

I have a Canon FD 50mm f/1.2 L lens which I recently dropped on the ground. As a consequence, the focus ring does not longer move. Other than that the lens works just fine and I still can take pictures at the infinity setting. I am wondering who would be able to repair that kind of lens? I have already tried a local camera repair shop as well as KEH.com. In both cases, they could not repair the lens because  they did not have a required part and were not able to get the part. Any hints and tips are welcome.

Thank you!

Thomas Kirsch

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Getting parts is going to be the real problem everywhere, even if you find someone to can repair the lens.  Im not sure if LensRentals does outside repairs.  @ebiggs1 might know of a place.  I think it's in Kansas City.  I'll ask him for you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

tgwkirsch
Apprentice

Thanks, Rick for your reply. These kind of lenses are quite expensive and get more and more rare. Too bad I damaged the one I had. It would be great to get it back up again.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Rick did reach out to me. The repair shop in in Topeka, Kansas. However, parts are going to be the big problem and if the shop doesn't have a 50mil f1.2L to cannibalize parts from they may not be able to repair it either.

Their name is Phototronic. At this point it doesn't seem like you have the option of a good shop vs a bad shop but finding any shop that offers repair of older gear. If you decide to call (785) 233-0231 you will talk to the owner who is the repair person. Explain exactly what happened and what's wrong now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

tgwkirsch
Apprentice

Thanks, this is very helpful.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements