cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every time I....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

... bring up the 85mm L f1.2 II lens on my laptop screen, I find myself reaching for my credit card!  I'm going to be doing lots of portraiture of an intensely breathtaking woman this coming year, and I'm thinking I can't do it without this lens. Do I need help?

15 REPLIES 15

Oh My! This is like one of those swirling curling hypno circle things that is taking over my decision making process! "I must have that lens. I must have that lens."

I have both.  I mean the ef 85mm f1.2L and a woman.  They are pretty similar as to how hard they are to master.  The 85mil f1.2 is a real jewel.  So is the woman as we approach our 50th.  Smiley Wink

I love mine but it is not a lens for the guy that wants to just shoot.  It will take some getting used to and some serious learning to get the best.  It is capable of delivering stunning results.  Just like its shorter sibling the 50mil f1.2.

So, the question is are you willing?

I will add the slow focus myth is really beginning to bother me. Does it focus slower than some of the quickest lenses?  Yes it does but there are folks that are sitting on their couch and running it from close to infinity.  Something in the real world you don't do....often anyway.   I know, they read all the reviews, too bad they never actually used one!   Much less tired to learn it.    At the reasonable distances you normally see it focuses just fine.  Is it a lens that you would use to track a running back at a football game?  No but I wouldn't choose any 85mil for that job.  So ignore the false slow focus issue.

Golf?............uck!!!!!!!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes indeed. I'll take my chance mastering the lens - I gave up trying to master the wife of 34 years a long time ago! She's the boss, I conceded that and she indulges me in my hobbies! Its win win!

Yeah I'm willing. Maybe 10-15 years ago I wouldn't have the patience, but now..... ima give it a go.

For what I want this lens for, posed portraits, lens wide open, all the time in the world, I think "yep".  I did own the 50mm f1.2 which was another stunner, but for portraiture on a full frame camera, there was just too much invasion of personal space.  Back in the day of the EOS 35mm SLR, wasn't it a 90mm that was top of the tree?  I had that as well.

Golf - I concur, it WAS only a PASSING thought and a brief one at that.

OK, time will tell.

The 85mil on a current DSLR that has a full frame sensor will show the exact same thing as you old film 35mm camera.  Same, same.

The 85mm f1.2L is a limited purpose lens.  It is a lens like no other 85.  Even so for the 50mm f1.2L.  You will love it or you will come to hate it.  I doubt there is a middle ground for either of these twins.

They are expensive. They are big.  They are heavy.  They are slow.  They are beautiful.  Smiley Very Happy

EB

It certainly will! But this is part of the fun, learning, mastering, maybe even possibly failing, but having a whole lotta fun in the process.

Mmmm from what I remember, back in the day, it was a 90mm lens, probably £1k worth in 1982. Cant quite dig back that far in the memory. That was the portrait lens of the day.  The 50mm f1.2 I owned not that long ago and was using on in 1Dx. But like I said, the need to use it too close put me off. Couldn't be much fun for a model either I suspect.

Eh, I'm not a hater. I will persevere and I WILL win! Ha ha.

"...but having a whole lotta fun in the process."

You are my kinda guy.  This is the whole point.  Good luck, I know you will enjoy it.

EB
Announcements