cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos RebelT6 1300D lense

lostarts
Contributor

which lense is appropriate for subject to fill picture for printing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There isn't any.  I believe what you're speaking to is that a human is generally not in a 2:3 aspect ratio.  And thus when shooting an image in portrait orientation, head at the top, feet at bottom, you have negative space on the left/right.  Is that what you're speaking to?

For printing, it will depend upon the aspect ratio of the paper.  Unless it too will be in a 2:3 aspect ratio, you'll have to crop.

Same for any other aspect ratio you capture in; some cropping may be needed.

If you want to absolutely maximize the resolution (if you're making seriouslly large prints), you can always do panoramas (e.g. take 3 or perhaps 5 landscape-oriented shots of the person).  This requires special skills and/or dedicated pano equipment and tripods to pull off.  And then you're subject will have to be very still the whole time.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Whichever one works.

For portraits of faces 50mm is recommended for crop frame cameras like your T6.

Other wise, it depends on how big the subject is, and how far away you are.

I used my 60mm macro for snowflakes:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos/Snowflakes/m-p/334446#M2525

but they were too small to fill the frame.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

In the other thread you started (now linked to this one), you state that you have both an 18-55 and 75-300 but nothing works.

Can you explain what specifically you are trying? Can you show an example?

While you don't have 20mm worth of focal lengths, that's not going to prohibit you from taking head shots, head/shoulder, half-body, three-quarter or full body images.

--
Ricky

Full body shots. Unfortunately, I have no examples. I want to print an image of a person

without "shrinking" the body's width to a "stick" figure. I cannot figure out how to use 

Photoshop to do that.

Thx

Sorry, I'm not following at all.  So this isn't a "figure out what lens to use" issue, it's what to do in Photoshop?

You'll really need to provide a screenshot at least showing what the issue is.

--
Ricky

not for photoshop. I thought there might be a lense that would allow a photo of a figure

to fill the screen with as little background as possible...I guess it may be a "width" issue,

as the height stays constant...what is a good lense to allow me to get a close-up without

losing the entire body?

There isn't any.  I believe what you're speaking to is that a human is generally not in a 2:3 aspect ratio.  And thus when shooting an image in portrait orientation, head at the top, feet at bottom, you have negative space on the left/right.  Is that what you're speaking to?

For printing, it will depend upon the aspect ratio of the paper.  Unless it too will be in a 2:3 aspect ratio, you'll have to crop.

Same for any other aspect ratio you capture in; some cropping may be needed.

If you want to absolutely maximize the resolution (if you're making seriouslly large prints), you can always do panoramas (e.g. take 3 or perhaps 5 landscape-oriented shots of the person).  This requires special skills and/or dedicated pano equipment and tripods to pull off.  And then you're subject will have to be very still the whole time.

--
Ricky

Thank you, rs-eos. I appreciate your response. This is a new camera for me. Maybe the

old one was "simplier" and "easier"...too bad I don't have. It was a simple "point and shoot"

in the simplest way(s).

Again, Thank you

Have you tried turning the camera sideways?

You can also change the aspect ratio of the image and turn the camera on its side:

Untitled.jpg

Also, note that your printer paper also has a fixed aspect ratio you might be fighting. Don't be afraid to use your scissors!

I don't understand "aspects" (ratio)

Announcements