cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ef 75-300mm lens causing camera to stop taking pics randomly

Izak
Apprentice

Hello everyone I have a Ef 75-300mm 4-5.6 three Lens and it has began to have some issues

so it will just stop taking pictures after a while and I have to shut the camera off usually and back on and it will start working again 

does anyone have an idea what could be causing this ?

I am shooting on a rebel sL2 camera I bought the camera and lenses new and take good care of them.

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Is it just the 75-300mm lens causing this or other lenses too. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I believe it’s just this lense specifically the 75-300mm.

I was shooting with my 50 mm and it did not have this issue.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Probably lens to camera communication. You might try cleaning the contacts as recommended in the manual. (Though this rarely does any good). I had a 70-300 that did something similar, as I recall, it usually happened when I changed lenses with the camera power on. You can try to send both to Canon, but I doubt they will be able to find anything.

What do you usually clean the gold colored metal contacts with ?

Isopropyl alcohol. DO NOT use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. But it also could be the internal flex cable in the lens. This lens IS NOT worth repairing and its NOT a very good lens optically in general. Look into the EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens if that doesn't fix the problem.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

As the manual says, Canon recommends a soft cloth.

zakslm
Enthusiast

lzak,

I owned the original version of that lens when it first came out when I was shooting with an EOS film camera.  As others have opined, it wasn't a great lens and I didn't own it very long before I upgraded to an EF 100-300 USM lens.

If you decide to move on from the 75-300, you may wish to look into the EF-S 55-250 family of lenses for your camera.  Without going into too much detail, I think there are 3 versions of that lens out there.  2 verisions of that lens have IS (image stabilization) and one version has IS and an STM focusing motor.  I have verison II (not the STM) that I purchased used and have been very pleased with my results.

Check with a reputable used equipment dealer or Canon Refurbished for details and prices if you are interested.   

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm going to kiss my 75-300 lens. So far, so good. Just hope I haven't jinxed it now.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements