cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL3 zoom lens recommendations for studio use and beyond

mwa20
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I own a Canon Rebel EOS L3 Camera and I'm currently on the lookout for a lens that excels in both video and photo capture. As a college student with a limited budget and knowledge, my initial search for lenses left me feeling a bit overwhelmed. Could you please share your top and most budget-friendly suggestions, along with recommendations on where I could purchase the lens?

Some additional context: I use my camera in both natural and studio lighting, and I'm seeking a lens with a good amount of zoom capability. Lastly, I have really shaky hands so a lens with good stabilization would be really helpful.

Any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance!

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Honestly, without a budget figure and not even knowing your current lens or lenses, any advice we give will be somewhat speculative.   
That said, the most economical and yet good optic that has performance in both stills and video would be the Canon EF-S 18-135 IS USM (not STM or any other version).  This was created with both the stills and videographer in mind.  There is one available, refurbished from Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (canon.com).
For a review of this lens see:

The USM version is an upgrade from previous lenses in that the nano-USM motor is extremely fast focusing and yet very, very quiet - so great for video.
Any zoom is a compromise, but for the price, this is hard to beat.   I got one with my EOS 80D, and while I have sold off most of my DSLR gear, including a lot of pro gear, I have kept this lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi,

To be honest, my budget is quite limited. Unfortunately, I only have $100-190 to spend on a lens. Do you have any recommendations for lenses within that budget range?

Thank you for your help!

As of this writing, there are used EF-S 18-55mm lenses at KEH dot com that would fit within your budget.  A Mark III version marked as being in excellent condition is going for around $86.  Recommend that if you're looking to replace your broken EF-S 18-55mm, look to see what specific version you have.  Though imagine that the Mark III would probably be a good move regardless.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I suggested the same site and found an STM version, which I personally prefer, especially for video, so have sent the OP a private message with infor.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think I see a typo.  Would I be correct in assuming that you are using an EOS SL3 camera body?

What lenses do you currently own or use?  The Sl3 camera kits are typically packaged with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, which is very good at capturing stills and video in the majority of typcial shooting condtionns and scenarios.

What are the performance deficiencies with your current lens(es)? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi,

I used to use a Canon Zoom Lens EF-3 18-55mm 1:4-5.6 IS STM Lens with my camera but I unfortunately broke it. The lens worked great, but I am looking at other options too. 

Thanks for your help!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

No idea why someone gave it a single star on the refurb site, because they didn't leave a comment, which is often a sign that it was not a serious or authoritative post.   While I don't shoot video, here are a few images taken with this lens:
Canon 80D, EF-S 18-135@135mm USM, f/8, 1/2000sec, ISO-200Canon 80D, EF-S 18-135@135mm USM, f/8, 1/2000sec, ISO-200 Canon 90D, EF-S 18-135 USM@ 77mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO-160Canon 90D, EF-S 18-135 USM@ 77mm, f/8, 1/500sec, ISO-160 400D, 18-135 USM@100mm, f/6.3, 1/150sec, ISO-320400D, 18-135 USM@100mm, f/6.3, 1/150sec, ISO-320 400D, 18-135 IS USM@ 80mm, f/5.6, `/125sec, ISO-800400D, 18-135 IS USM@ 80mm, f/5.6, `/125sec, ISO-800 

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements