cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF lens video autofocus on EOS R8

skilled
Contributor

Hello experts. I want to film with the R8 and was considering using the EF 70-200 2.8 ...I know I will have to use an adapter...but my question is ... Will that lens auto focus for video? I didn't know if the EF lineup works in auto focus when using it for video. I use to film with the 5D Mk II and of course it would only auto focus for photos..not video...so this is where I am confused.  I have to use auto focus for this application as I need to be as hands free as possible. 

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Yes it will AF in video mode. But there are limitations depending on which lenses you use. Older lenses don't support DPAF (Dual Pixel Autofocus). So which EF 70-200mm F/2.8L lens do you have. Please post the full name because all versions don't support DPAF.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

skilled
Contributor

Thank you....I was looking to purchase this one... EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III Not a fan of the size and weight...but...

I was also looking at the EF 70-200 F4. But I'm filing deer hunting...and low light is key. Im afraid that F4 will be to dark when the sun has set and thats when I will be filming a lot! 

The EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM does support DPAF. So does the older EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm F/4L IS II USM lens.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

Great...How does one tell the difference on what model is the older one on both of the 2.8's ? They seem to have the same model number?  

It will be designated with roman numerals such as "II" or "III". You can't miss it it's on the lens. It's on the outer ring of the lens. 

-Demetrius

Ahhh ok...on your reply both models had the "III" so thought there were some variations..Thanks again.

My phone autocorrected it.

-Demetrius

LOL

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Will that lens auto focus for video? I didn't know if the EF lineup works in auto focus when using it for video. “

You have asked specifically about autofocus.  Many older EF lenses are not fully compatible with Movie Servo AF.  Please refer to this listing I found in the R5 Advanced User Guide when the camera body was first introduced.  The R6 manual included a similar list.

In my experience, these lenses can focus fast enough to keep up with the high frame rates.  My lenses on this list seem to be fully compatible with Movie Servo AF.  My lenses that re not on this list are not fully compatible with Movie Servo AF.

121FCC5A-5616-4446-9F3E-CF58A7055435.jpeg6621B945-2A60-43F7-AF43-58A04E60FE35.jpeg

Compatibility with R Series is an entirely different matter.  In many cases the internal IBIS may function in a degraded mode with lenses that already feature Image Stabilization.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements