cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-300mm lense

wanderlust
Apprentice

I just purchased a new canon EF 70-300mm lense. The lense has small bubbles in the front lense.

I have never seen this in any other camera lense prior except for the same lense purchased thru Amazon, I returned it and purchased from a camera store. 

Thoughts

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"I have never seen this in any other camera lense prior except for the same lense purchased thru Amazon, I returned it and purchased from a camera store."

This is unclear, but it sounds like the sames lens is circulating around. Good move to get it from an authorized dealer. Not all Amazon shops are authorized canon dealers.

I assume that this is a 70-300 *II*, since the original version is not sold anymore.

Actually, you would be hard pressed to see any image degradation from this.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Buying decisions aside, small bubbles do not degrade image quality, nor do scratches on the front element,  internal dust and minor fungus. Nothing on  or inside the lens is focused, and doesn't show up on the image. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As I said. The only image degradation you might see is a lowering of contrast due to light scattering.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"As I said. The only image degradation you might see is a lowering of contrast due to light scattering."

Correct, sir, and it would take a lot of "bubbles" to degrade contrast. However ...

"Not all Amazon shops are authorized canon dealers." The lenses are the same whether authorized USA or not. That shouldn't matter if USA support and warranty is not wanted. To me I would not buy unauthorized photo gear but others may not feel that way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements