cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200 which to buy?

dean1011
Apprentice

Im looking to buy an EF70-200, probably the f4 but not sure if i want the usm/is usm/ is usm ii or if there are any other variants of it. Could you guys help?

4 REPLIES 4

James_C

Hi, dean1011!

If you need to pick an expert's brain, our sales team can help. You can reach them on weekdays and Saturdays at 1-800-385-2155. We're confident they can match you with the perfect one for your needs!

We hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Canon has released several 70-200mm F/4L lenses dating back to 1999 with many revisions. Canon has also released several F/2.8models too. All of which use Ring Type USM AF motors. What are you shooting mainly and what is your budget. What camera are you using this lens on. If your using a newer camera such as the 7D Mark II get the the IS II model. USM lenses released in and after 2009 support Dual Pixel AF. Older lenses don't support Dual Pixel AF since those older lenses lack the hardware. They will still work and AF like newer lenses with Dual Pixel AF. But you won't be able to make full use of the camera's AF system.

All EF F/4L models released over the years

• EF 70-200mm F/4L USM (original non-IS version 1999-2021)
  • EF 70-200mm F/4L IS USM (1st Gen IS version 2006-2018)
  • EF 70-200mm F/4IS II USM (2nd Gen IS version 2018-Present)

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Get the mk II.  There is no difference between the II and III except the paint color, dull vs. bright white and a newer fluorine coating. There was nothing wrong with the mkII's coating, so spending extra for a mkIII is not necessary.

****Oops, only the f2.8 has a mkIII.  Try and grab a second gen. regardless of which you get,   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Basically, there are two major options for this focal range from Canon: the f.2.8 and the f/4 and there are variants of each.    They all have USM motors and come with Image stabilization or not.  Personally, I would not every buy a telephoto lens that did not have IS.  Much depends on what you shoot and how much you really need that extra stop from the f/2.8 version.

I have owned both and will make this personal observation.   The best lens is the one you are prepared to carry and, for me, the f/2.8 was too heavy.  The f/4 IS USM MkII is the latest version, and it is much lighter and less bulky.  I sold the f/2.8 but kept the f/4 IS USM version and it is a brilliant optic, and likely to be quite a bit cheaper than the f/2.8 version.

In the end you must decide what to 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements