cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 16-35 II on R6

enriquehoja
Contributor

Hi all,

I recently acquired this EF lens, the II version secondhand and have noticed that unlike the RF 15-35 I tried, no focus scale is indicated in the EV or LCD and that with manual focus the ring does not stop at either end (zero or infinity). Are these issues to be expected? Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I tried my EF 16-35 II on my R5 and verified that it does not show the focus scale.  My 2 other RF lenses do show the scale.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

View solution in original post

What your seeing is normal for a USM lens with mechanical AF override. The focus ring will continue turning 360 degrees. Have you ever used an EF Mount USM lens. Almost all of them work this way. Micro Motor USM lenses DO NOT support MF override. Except the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens. It has an additional clutch system to allow MF override just like ring type USM lenses have. Some USM lenses use an electronic focus ring like STM lenses. All RF lenses whether STM or USM use an electronic focus ring.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I don't have this particular lens, but I think that's normal. The ring isn't mechanically linked to the focus mechanism. Rotating the ring triggers sensors which pass the instruction to the focus motors to move the lens elements. So there's no end stop to the ring's travel. I think it's known as focus-by-wire.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

14 REPLIES 14

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I believe the EF lenses, which have eight electrical contacts with the camera, are not able to convey focus position information to the RF camera through the EF-RF adapter. The RF mount has twelve electrical contacts.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

@enriquehoja.  Are you using a Canon Brand Control Ring or adapter?  I have this lens, but have never tried it on my MILC body.  @JoeySnaps also made a good point.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes Canon EOS EF-R

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I tried my EF 16-35 II on my R5 and verified that it does not show the focus scale.  My 2 other RF lenses do show the scale.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Thanks for answering @Jaewoo. Could you tell me if the focus ring on your 16-35 stops rotating at the infinity and zero sides?

The focus ring on this lens shouldn't rotate while AF is being performed. There is a clutch under the focus ring to allow for manual focus override. The focus scale Will move though. You should be able to turn the focus from 0-Infinity.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I mean, when in MF, this ring rotates 360 degrees (it doesn't stop on either end) and I suspect it is broken, but it does stop focusing more after infinity (the ring just keeps moving).

What your seeing is normal for a USM lens with mechanical AF override. The focus ring will continue turning 360 degrees. Have you ever used an EF Mount USM lens. Almost all of them work this way. Micro Motor USM lenses DO NOT support MF override. Except the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens. It has an additional clutch system to allow MF override just like ring type USM lenses have. Some USM lenses use an electronic focus ring like STM lenses. All RF lenses whether STM or USM use an electronic focus ring.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I don't have this particular lens, but I think that's normal. The ring isn't mechanically linked to the focus mechanism. Rotating the ring triggers sensors which pass the instruction to the focus motors to move the lens elements. So there's no end stop to the ring's travel. I think it's known as focus-by-wire.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements