cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 100-400MM F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Blurry photos on EOS 60D

Traveller
Contributor

i use Canon 60D and until today with simple lenses.

I wanted to step on the level and i buy super lens - Canon EF 100-400MM F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and it should be one of the highest level in lenses. the photos are ok but not sharp like photos i see on the internet and galleries, and the photos are little blurry - i want to see all the most little details in the photo, and i don't... 
I tried to reset all settings and deleted all settings, i tried to play in another situations and still don't get the perfect shot.

if you see closer, you can see the photo is not perfect - its not sharp as it should be.

what am I missing?

Please - your help. and thanks'...f7.1 1/10s iso-100 400mmf7.1 1/10s iso-100 400mmf7.1  1/640 iso-2000 321mmf7.1 1/640 iso-2000 321mmf7.1 1/1000 iso-2000 400mmf7.1 1/1000 iso-2000 400mmf7.1  1/640  iso-1000  400mmf7.1 1/640 iso-1000 400mmf7.1 1/1600  iso-2000 400mmf7.1 1/1600 iso-2000 400mmf7.1 1/10s iso-100 400mmf7.1 1/10s iso-100 400mmf8 1/1600s iso-2000 400mmf8 1/1600s iso-2000 400mmf5.6 1/2500 iso-2000 400mmf5.6 1/2500 iso-2000 400mmf6.3 1/1600 iso-2000 400mmf6.3 1/1600 iso-2000 400mmf7.1 1/1600 iso-2000 263mmf7.1 1/1600 iso-2000 263mm

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Do you shoot RAW or JPG?  

Do you use any filters?

Is there any particular reason why all your images only 999 x 666 resolution?  At least the three that I downloaded are 999x 666.  This means the images may look soft.  Very soft.

Can you post a link to the original file from the camera?  Use DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive or some other public file sharing service.

This file looks to be a good diagnostic, too, except it seems like it could be significantly cropped.  Nevertheless, I conclude the camera/lens combo probably does not AFMA correction, something which the 60D may not have, anyway.

55901871-A778-46BA-B5A5-FB721514AB9C.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

I have a 60D and I believe you're right about AFMA. As I recall, it can be adjusted by a camera tech for one specific lens. But on the 60D it was never considered by Canon to be "user adjustable" for multiple lenses.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Hope you don't mind me doing a bit of editing to one of your shots. It doesn't seem to be drastically out of focus but I think it mainly suffers from a lack of contrast. Your histogram shows all your image detail bunched up in the midrange and very little or no highlight or shadow details. A few minutes in PS tweaking the levels and adding just a skosh of sharpening helped to make it "pop" a little more.

SampleEdit.jpg

That's the real advantage of shooting in RAW and Canon DPP will give you a lot more and finer control of your final exposure. If you must shoot jpeg you should be able to pre-adjust some settings in the 60D menus to adjust contrast, exposure, sharpness, etc. to improve the looks of the way the camera will process your images.

oohhh  do please - do what ever you want.  i accept any help or suggestions.... 

Traveller
Contributor

thank you all...
After I wanted to take better and better pictures I bought the Tamron 18-400 But it's a terrible lens that all pictures are very blurry, so I ask a friend what is the best lens for wildlife and birds I was safely told the Canon 100-400 L label for the white series so I Buy one, and the pictures are much better but it's not the sharpness and quality I expected..
and thats the way i get here....
You've helped me a lot, and I've learned a lot now - with your answers I've been up all night (until now), reading and learning about all the things you've talked about) and AFMA seems to be the problem. The focus is slightly behind the reference point. Now I have to learn how to set it up because the D60 doesn't have those settings.
one more thing i lerned - to use less ISO. the ISO make soft\dirty photos.

Thank you all very much for your professionalism, care and tolerance

As I noted earlier and others have noted, your issue seems related more to experience and technique than gear issues. 

Try using a tripod for these types of “macro” shots. Try to find a way to stabilize the camera, minimizing camera motion after you focus but before you take the shot. 

Glad to have helped. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Just checking back in. You're getting lot of good info to experiment with. It looks like you've already got Canon DPP and that's a good place to start. But as you may have noticed while working with jpeg files, not all the editing tools will be available to you. Next time you're out shooting set the camera to save your shots as both the largest size RAW+jpeg files. The 60D has a menu setting that easily allows this.

Set a little time aside to practice doing your editing with all the tools available on a few RAW files and you may be amazed by the results compared to editing only in jpeg.

From looking at the samples you posted I can see noticeable improvements in the shots where you've boosted the ISO and shutter speed. This should also allow you to stop down a bit more too which will increase your depth of field and help put more of your subject in focus. Don't worry too much about using a higher ISO. The 60D will usually handle this pretty well up to 800, 1600 and maybe even a little higher under the right conditions. And DPP will allow for further adjustments if you feel the need.

And finally, make sure when you're doing your editing that you aren't viewing the images at more than 100% magnification. Maybe, occasionally, 200% maximum. The more deeply you go hunting for perfection, the less likely you are to find it. "Pixel Peeping" is the work of Satan. 😵

""Pixel Peeping" is the work of Satan."

My new sig!

First of all, thank you very much for the comments - I definitely learn from everyone here..
I didn't have GPP and didn't even know what it was.
Every information that was written here in the forum, I sat and read a lot, and learned. Most of the information you gave was completely unknown to me.
And I take photos with the simple lenses at a really excellent level with high sharpness and photos in difficult situations. I just can't do it with the big lenses..
The information here is priceless, and I have full appreciation for everyone here...
I will try your suggestion, shoot in raw and play with the editing, although I prefer the natural photos without editing them too much...
Thanks a lot for the advice...

Announcements