cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of Zeiss ZE lenses and Canon RF cameras

TEQUILA
Contributor

Please respond to those whose RF series camera does not detect the Zeiss ZE lens? I have two cameras. One is a Canon EOS 6D and the other is an EOS R8. The EOS 6D camera is equipped with a Carl Zeiss 50 1.4 ZE lens. But the R8 camera does not see the lens. There is a dash in EXIF.

I use the original Canon EF-R adapter. Zeiss lenses have electronic contacts. Canon R8 controls the lens aperture and allows the use of focus assistant. But the R8 camera does not write the name of the lens in Exif. The Canon 6D camera writes the name of the lens into the exif. I want RF system cameras to register the name of the Zeiss lens in Exif

28 REPLIES 28

Zeiss lenses from the Classic line communicate with the camera, take excellent photographs on Canon RF cameras, can use a focusing assistant, control the aperture, and confirm focus. But the lens brand is not registered in the Exif file

So, reading what you have just written, as I understand it, your Zeiss lenses actually function fine, and what is bugging you is that the actual brand/model of the lens is not documented in the EXIF information? 

If it is just a matter of documentation and not function, why is that so significant?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

normadel
Authority
Authority

"

What do you mean by  "Canon EF defines Zeiss lenses. They are not detected only by RF cameras".

What do you want your lens to do ?  It has an EF mount, but it is a manual-focus lens, so aperture-setting is the only auto function. You also have not said what EF-to-RF adapter you have. 

So, a third-party lens that Canon cannot guarantee function of, and an aftermarket adapter that is not guaranteed by Canon to function with its camera. Plus, even with a Canon adapter you could have trouble with an aftermarket lens.

If you want to provide detailed info, possibly there is more to be said. Otherwise, give it up.

It seems to me that you are deliberately adding fuel to the fire to close the post. Have a nice day and good mood

Everyone is telling you the same thing. You won't answer questions. You've been shut down twice prior to this thread. You are rude.  My day is fine. How's yours?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Since the question has not be asked, I’ll do it. What does Zeiss have to say about your issue?  There could be a firmware update for the lens. 

I’d expect them to tell you that the lens was designed for Canon DSLRs with EF mount, and it works as designed.  No firmware updates are available or planned.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's a fair question, although both Demetrius and I were rather pushing the OP in that direction. {:-)

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

As I recall, many of Sigma’s DSLR lenses exhibited compatibility issues with Canon RF mount camera bodies.  Sigma quickly released lens firmware updates that users could download.  

Users could then update their lenses using the Sigma dock.  This option was only available on Sigma’s latest lens releases that were compatible with the Sigma Dock.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think most of the compatibility issues reported were with the R7, which was a long, drawn-out process and in the end Canon apparently wrote to Duade Paton admitting that the focusing system was built to a price and was not up to the level of performance of the R3, R5, and R6 variants - which makes total sense given the price point of the body.  While I have reservations about Duade's testing methodologies, I have no reason to doubt his integrity, especially as he has been with the Oz police for many years, so I accept that the document exists.
As a matter of course, I keep my lens firmware up to date, but did not have any issues with my R5 and R6 units before I ran updates.  However, the fact that Sigma are issuing firmware updates reinforces our position that it is the purview and responsibility of 3rd party lens makers, not the camera OEM.

cheers, TREVOR

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

It's not Canon's responsibility to make 3rd Party lenses work with their camera. That's the 3rd party manufacturer's job NOT Canon. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements