cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R50 kit lens or RF50mm F1.8 lens or both?

freak22
Apprentice

Total beginner here and I want to buy the r50 to use almost exclusively for portraits and family pictures. It seems like the RF 50mm F1.8 lens($170) would be a good choice for that so I’m wondering if I should just get that and the r50 body only($630)? Is the 18-45mm zoom lens included in the kit($750)worth it? I was thinking I could buy it later if I needed to but it seems a lot more expensive to buy individually($300) I would be okay with buying the kit and the 50mm lens now if they’re both useful!

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

One of the first mistakes people fall into is buying multiple lenses with a great deal of focal length overlap.  I did it with my first DSLR.  I had a lens specifically for this, and one of that, etc.  The RF-S 18-45 is going to offer coverage and versatility for wider angles, street and everyday photography.  The RF 50mm is more of a specialty lens due to its fixed focal length.  Its benefit over the zoom is its fast f1.8 aperture.  Since it is intended for full frame, you will get an equivalent FOV of 80mm.  It would work very well as a beginner portrait and headshots lens, with the ability for softer backgrounds and depth of field subject separation.  Not quite the same as full frame but still very good.  The 50mm alone would be a little limiting, but still a great place to start with mirrorless and RF.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, I would get the 18-45mm zoom with the camera. A zoom is 10 times more useful than any prime. And as you noted the price is right. You are getting nearly 50mm with the zoom any how. A 50mil for portraits may be OK and even good but it will not be that useful for family pictures unless you have a lot of room to work with.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements