cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 17-85 IS USM Making rattling noise

sfsmmq
Apprentice

Hello everyone! 
I bought an old, second-hand, Canon 17-85 IS USM lens, that has been sitting on my shelf until recently. After a serious test, that unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to perform upon buying said lens, I discovered the following issues with it:

- The lens makes a rattling noise, similar to the one of the Autofocus Motor, when I am not focusing at all;
- The camera does not turn itself off when this lens is coupled. Adittionally it makes the same noise every so often;

- Turning off Autofocus and Stabilizer does not solve the sound

Could anyone help me identify the potential problem?
Thank you all in advance! 
Regards

Samuel

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What body are you using this lens with?

Check the contacts on the lens and body.  Make sure they are clean. 

There is a procedure to re-align the motor with the lenses ability to focus, but I doubt thats your problem since it rattles and doesn't allow the camera to shut off. 

Do other lenses work ok?

If yes, you probably purchased somneone's lemon.  I would discontinue use, chalk it up as a leaning experiience and not purchase items you haven't tested before purchase.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Could anyone help me identify the potential problem?"

Yes, I can. It's broken. More bad news it probably isn't worth fixing but a call to Canon service will answer that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements