cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM (First Version) Camera Display Jitter/flutter

bob31411
Contributor

I looked around a bit and did not see an issue mentioned that looked like what I am seeing. I have a new-to-me Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens. I have tried this lens on my 3 different bodies - 6D, 5D Mark II, and 5D Mark III. I am seeing the same issue intermittently on all three bodies. 

Here is a link to a video that I shot with my cell phone through the lens of one of the bodies. 5D Mark III, I believe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10XA9vFI4harCC9T-68nwtKxsmKrXX8db/view?usp=sharing

I can only describe it as flutter or jitter. When I press the shutter release button down, sometimes it will just flutter and not allow a picture to be taken. Happens on all three bodies. I can release the button and press it again and generally it will autofocus and take a picture. I thought it might be an IS issue, so I changed modes - no difference, I switched IS off and no difference. The problem has seemed to have gotten better with usage of the lens. 

Anybody seen anything like this. I have also tried single shot, AI Servo, and AI Focus modes. No difference.

My gut feel is that it might be a setting, but since it happens on all three bodies, it has me perplexed. 

Regards. Bobby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks to me like the lens will need to be repaired. That is a hardware issue with the lens.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Are you recording video or just stills. Older USM will jitter or snap back and forth in video mode. This can't be changed since the lens doesn't have the hardware. For smooth focus transitioning like newer lenses have. Are you using live view or viewfinder. What happens when you switch from AF to MF on the lens. That looks like an IS issue from the video. You shouldn't see anytime of "jump" of the image in the viewfinder.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you for your reply. Stills only. Viewfinder only. I will try switching from AF to MF. Should have tried that. The VERY odd thing is that the more I use the lens, the less frequent it exhibits the issue. Could it have not been used for a while and using it is helping it? I don't know. 

Regards. Bobby

No the lens needs repair. That looks like a problem with the lens IS motors. Only early EOS film bodies. You would see a shaky image in the viewfinder. That IS normal for those cameras. But none of Canon's DSLRs exhibit this behavior at all.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks to me like the lens will need to be repaired. That is a hardware issue with the lens.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Too bad this is a v1 lens.  Canon released a FW for something which appears to be similar on the MKII.   Unfortunately your MKI will need to go to Canon for service.  

For MKII only
File Version: 1.0.7
File Size
4.27 MB
File Languages
English | Spanish | French | Japanese | Chinese
Post Date
11/05/2020
Download and Installation Instructions
Firmware Version 1.0.7 incorporates the following fix.

Fixes a phenomenon, in rare cases, the IS mechanism may cause the image to jump.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

bob31411
Contributor

Ooops, I accidentally hit "Accept As Solution" instead of "Reply" on one of the comments. Darn it. 

What I have noticed is that the more I use the lens, the issue seems to be happening less and less. Not sure what that means. I still have a window of opportunity to return the lens. 

Regards. Bobby

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would return it, it shouldn't do that.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with Bob.  The jitter (jumping) behavior appears to be malfunctioning IS.  There will be another lens and another deal, but it won't have the jitter issue.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements