cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Canon lenses be used on Sony or Nikon cameras?

julz
Apprentice

Can lenses from cannon rod T6 be used with any other brand or with other cannon cameras? 

my camera button is failing on me and I am considering trying a different type of camera but I spent a lot on lenses. can cannon lenses be used on sony a7iii or nikon cameras? 

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Much depends on specifically what lenses you have, the camera models  you want to use them on, and the availability and suitability of adapters.   For example, EF-S lenses will not work well with any brand of FF sensor cameras, but MAY work via adapters on APS-C models.   EF lenses can work on both FF and crop sensor bodies, but still with the caveat of adapter compatibility.

As far as compatibility goes, the degree of what works comes down to mechanical connection;  then autofocus, and autoexposure.  For example, Canon lenses work well with Fuji XT series bodies via a Fringer Pro series adapter: the series II and III pro series even offering an on-camera aperture ring.  Other bodies offer only mechanical focus and exposure.  There is a lot of variability: with other brands it comes down to specific model and the various 3rd party adapters made for it.

Curious why you would not consider sticking with a Canon body since you say you have a lot of optics - they make great bodies, and you are familiar with the controls.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ctitanic
Enthusiast

In my experience, adapted lenses do not perform as well as native lenses for the camera brand. This does not apply to EF lenses adapted to RF Canon cameras. Canon has done a very good job maintaining backward compatibility in the R ecosystem. My recommendation is to stick to Canon.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There are third-party adapters available that claim to allow Canon lenses to be used on Nikon cameras. Whatever claims or benefits or specifications any other camera makers has, there is no doubt Canon has the best and biggest lens lineup in the world. It's no wonder other camera makers would like to see the ability to use Canon lenses.

"Curious why you would not consider sticking with a Canon body since you say you have a lot of optics - they make great bodies, ..."

I, too, am curious as to why. Is there a certain off brand camera that you deem better or has features you want?

"As far as compatibility goes, the degree of what works comes down to mechanical connection;  then autofocus, and autoexposure."

Actually the bottom line besides being what you are good with is the choices. Anything that is "adapted" right off indicates it is something that was not designed to work with something else. There is going to be trade offs and that is where you have to decide if that is OK.

Although I have not seen one I assume there is a EF to Sony adapter too. Again people want to use Canon lenses on the off brand camera bodies for the reason above.

"... I spent a lot on lenses. ..."

You've got the best my advisee is to stick with Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements