Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Lens - canon lens EF 70-200 1:4f L with stabilizer

realestatejake
Apprentice

damaged 200mm.jpg

Aloha Canon Community,

I managed to pick up a damaged lens on Marketplace.  It was dropped on the back end and disconnected all the internal wiring connected to the bayonet.  I'm searching for any advice on this topic:  What is considered irreparable damage?   And also a good place to search for replacement parts?
Mahalo,

Jake

bent botto.png

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

When it comes to my photography equipment, I don't mess around.  I want to spend time taking photos, not hunting for parts in the hope of repairing something that appeared to be a good deal.    

Canon has a parts Dept.

Canon Parts Order Desk at (866) 481-2569
Weekdays from 9 AM - 7 PM, ET.

Speak the words "order parts" when calling.  It will direct you to the parts desk.  

A better solution here might be Canon refurbished or KEH Used.  You'll get a lens that can be mounted on your camera and used immediately.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That would not be a job for a novice or armature. Generally if you have to ask how, it is not the best task to take on. Even if you get the correct parts and get them assembled properly all back together there can be alignment issues that you probably can't do. Not to mention hidden damage.

When Canon does a lens repair they test and go through the entire lens just to make sure. You will need to do likewise.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Good advice I should probably take, but generally do not.  Some people have to learn by doing.  Sometimes it works out and that is how we learn.  All pros were once novices, too.  Mahalo, Jake

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well what do you have to loose? You have a broken lens now and after you attempt the repair the worst you can end up with is a broken lens. I say go for it.

"All pros were once novices, too."

Yes, I hear ya but you don't start by building a Saturn 5 you start with bottle rockets.

Go get'em tiger.

EB

realestatejake
Apprentice

UPDATE - Happy to say that after a month of tinkering with it here and there and ordering some ebay parts, we got the lens running again.  Honestly, there were times when I thought this was a waste of time and that I would be shocked if this thing ever was put back together, let alone work again.  So, hope this post encourages others to dive in there and try and fix something.  We've been able to get some excellent shots with it.  Not sure how long the repair will stay fixed, but we are enjoying it at the moment - https://youtube.com/shorts/Og6jaAm8XYs?si=H_ue2imuPwP7j77u1 hover 2.jpg

1 swooping.jpg

bent wings GOOD.jpg

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Glad you got a solution that works for you! 👍

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Brilliant. Kudos to you! 😁

EB
Announcements