cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blur and distortion with Helios 44M-7 lens on EOS R body

Mosesforman
Apprentice

I recently bought a vintage Helios 44M-7 lens and ordered an adapter for my EOS R body. I got one of the deeper adapters that has some space between the lens and the sensor. When putting the lens on my camera, I get weird blur and distortion, it almost looks like the lens is slightly detached from the camera. Should I get a shallower adapter or what’s the problem here? The focus distances also don’t seem accurate.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Should I get a shallower adapter or what’s the problem here? The focus distances also don’t seem accurate. “

That is hard to answer.  Tell us about what adaper(s) you’re curirently using.

[EDIT] The lens uses the M42 mount.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I added photos of my current setup on my camera, a picture of how the image looks uncropped and wide open. Also included a cropped image I took of a little swirl and the more disc-like adapter that I was talking about.

IMG_3129.jpeg

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3131.jpeg

IMG_3132.jpeg

swirl.jpeg

   

darrin5698
Apprentice

It sounds like the deeper adapter might be causing the issues you're experiencing with blur, distortion, and inaccurate focus distances. The Helios 44M-7 lens is designed to be mounted at a specific distance from the sensor, and any deviation from this can affect image quality.

Here’s a solution:

1. Check Adapter Compatibility: Ensure that the adapter you’re using is designed specifically for the Helios 44M-7 lens and EOS R body. Some adapters may have slight variations in their design, which can affect the fit and performance.

2. Use a Shallower Adapter: If the current adapter has too much space between the lens and the sensor, it can cause focus issues and image distortion. Switching to a shallower adapter that correctly matches the flange distance of your lens and camera body should resolve these problems. Make sure the new adapter is a reliable and high-quality one to avoid similar issues.

3. Inspect the Adapter and Lens: Double-check that the adapter is properly mounted on the camera and that the lens is securely attached to the adapter. Any looseness or misalignment can lead to the issues you're seeing.

4. Test the New Adapter: Once you get a shallower adapter, test it with your lens to see if the blur, distortion, and focus problems are resolved.

If the problem persists even with the new adapter, there might be an issue with the lens itself or further compatibility concerns Visit Official Website .

Announcements