cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on buying used EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM due to aperture cable issue

raj0640
Apprentice

I've found a good deal on an used EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM that goes for 340€ in "A" condition, but I'm debating if I should buy it since I've read that it's common for this lens to develop an issue with the aperture flex cable. The repair doesn't seem to be cheap and I have no idea if canon is still supporting this lens.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If the lens is v1, I do not believe Canon still repairs them.  You can check however, by registering the lens in MyCanon.

Oh, are you outside the US?  Then you will need to register on the Canon Global site:

For Product and Support Information | Canon Global.

I have a3rd party repair options, but only if you live in the US.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am uncertain as to whether or not Canon still supports repairs for this old lens.  I do not think it really matters, though.  That price for the lens is probably less than the const to repair it.  

Assuming the lens is in the good shape that you say it is in, I would buy it and not worry about when the ribbon cable may break.  Cross that bridge when you come to it.

A brand new lens included front and rear end caps, a lens hood, and a cloth storage bag.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I would buy it and not worry about when the ribbon cable may break."

I agree totally. Don't worry about something that might happen and/or might not happen. Mine has never failed. I would suggest you get to try before you buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements