cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10-18mm, 10-22mm, or 11-22mm for Landscape photogrpahy

Skiple
Contributor

I’m looking to buy another lens for my Canon M50. I have seen SOOOO many people vote these 3 as the best lenses for landscape. In your opinion, which one is the best and why do you think so? I would love one with image stabilization because I don’t want to carry a tripod, but I can if it’s necessary. 

thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If you want a native lens the EF-M 11-22mm would be the best option.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have the EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM (not stabilized) and the EF-M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS STM lenses.
Personally, between the two, I would go for the latter for the following reasons:
1.  It is native to  your M50, so you don't need a bulky adapter, which the EF-S 10-22 does require,
it is also much smaller and lighter overall.
2. It has an STM (stepping) motor that is fast and fairly silent. 
3. It has image stabilization, while the 10-22 does not.

Both lenses I have are sharp, so there is not much to tell between them except that the 10-22 is half a stop faster across the board.  However, given that landscapes usually involve a smaller aperture to get the DoF, I usually shoot around f/8, it don't see that as a disadvantage.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements