cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.4x iii release pin not always engaging

steve_z
Contributor

My 1.4x iii release/anti-rotation pin doesn't aways engage and I have to move the lever back and forth a few times on occasion. Not wanting my attached lens/body to fall off, I aways try to check.  I would like to send this in for service, but it looks like this adapter is not available for Canon maintenance. I have tried some light lubricant and have tried to make sure that all lubricant is cleaned off. Anyone have any ideas other than shopping around for another one?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

steve_z
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion about calling Canon. Turns out the extender is eligible for CMS or repair  if I call and arrange this since the web site is not showing this.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Steve:
Given your advice that Canon cannot or will not do a service on it.

I am curious if this was not the case originally: I would assume not. So, it suggests that some element has changed - either dirt or the mechanism has been deformed.  All I can suggest is that I would try Isopropyl Alcohol to flush the pins, rather than add lubricant that might be harder to remove from the system.   If you cannot get the mechanism loose all I can suggest is a replacement.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I would like to send this in for service, but it looks like this adapter is not available for Canon maintenance."

The Canon Extender EF 1.4X III is the current version. DId you call Canon as I would be shocked if it isn't still under  service agreement. 1 (800) 652-2666   You can still but them new!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I’ll give it a shot. Their registration web site has a “request service” button next to all the other equipment I have, but not this extender. Another service and support web site also didn’t bring up an option to request service on this extender. 
I’ll give them a call. Thanks for the suggestion. I gave the pin a good isopropyl alcohol cleaning as well.

steve_z
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion about calling Canon. Turns out the extender is eligible for CMS or repair  if I call and arrange this since the web site is not showing this.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements