cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i550 not working with Windows 7

cjvandeveer
Apprentice

I cannot print on my Canon i550 printer with the used Win7 computer I just bought. I downloaded a driver update from Canon that is supposed to fix the incompatibility issue, but it does nothing. Can anyone help? Can't afford a new computer or printer!

2 REPLIES 2

Ramona
Authority

Hi cjvandeveer,

The Windows 7 operating system has a mini-driver built-in for the printer. You can plug in the USB cable of printer into the computer and then turn the printer on. If Windows 7 automatically recognizes the printer, it will appear in your DEVICES AND PRINTERS window, and you will be able to print.

You will then need to download the Windows 7 printer driver add-on module from our website. The add-on module will give the printer its full capability, but only after the printer is already recognized by Windows 7.

First, to see if Windows recognizes your printer, please follow these steps:

1. Plug in the printer's USB cable into the computer and then turn on the printer.

2. Go to your START MENU on the computer and select DEVICES AND PRINTERS.

3. See if your printer is located in the DEVICES AND PRINTERS window. If it is not, we may need to run Windows Update on your computer in order for the printer to be initially recognized.

Please follow these steps to install the latest driver for your printer from Windows Update:

1. Turn the printer on and ensure it is connected to the computer with the USB cable. Please note that your computer will also need to be connected to the internet before performing the next step.

2. Click on your START menu button, and in the text box that appears, type in 'WINDOWS UPDATE', then click on START SEARCH. The Windows Update window should open.

3. Click on the 'SEARCH FOR UPDATES' or 'CHECK FOR UPDATES' link. The computer will search for updates and then display the updates it has found relevant to your operating system and devices connected to it.

4. View the CRITICAL UPDATES and OPTIONAL UPDATES that appear; if you see an update for your printer, select that one and then install it.

5. Once the driver is installed, please restart your computer.

Once Windows 7 recognizes your printer, you can then install the printer add-on module from our website to give the printer its full functionality. 

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

You didn't address the problem I posted about. The computer recognizes the printer just fine. You tell me to download a printer driver but don't tell me where to find it. As I said in the post, the one I downloaded doesn't work, so apparently it's the wrong one. What now?

Announcements