cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Notice: UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down

TeamPrinter
Product Expert
Product Expert

Canon U.S.A., Inc. has recently become aware of a situation where select Canon inkjet printers continuously reboot or power down after the Canon logo appears if the product is connected to the internet. If this occurs, the printer cannot be used.

Update

When a printer is powered on and connected to the Internet, it will access an external server. Beginning on May 30, 2022, an update in information sent from the external server to the affected printer models resulted in an error that caused it to go through a continuous reboot or power down.

On June 7, 2022, the matter was resolved.

Note:  If the printer continues to reboot, turn it off or unplug the power cord from the printer.  Wait up to ten seconds, and then power on the printer.

Recommended Action

Although the matter is resolved, we recommend that the affected printer models’ firmware be updated to help prevent risk of reoccurrence.

Below are options to update the firmware on the affected printer models.

•  Option One (Recommended)

On nearly all the affected printer models listed below, the firmware can be updated from the printer’s operational panel while it is connected to the Internet.  The printer’s display will typically indicate when a firmware is available for updating via the operational panel.

See the table below to confirm if this option is supported by your printer.  If supported, click "Yes" under Option One for your printer model in the table below.  This will take you to Canon’s knowledgebase article for detailed instructions on updating the firmware.

• Option Two

For printer models whose firmware cannot be updated via the operational panel, the Remote User Interface (also referred to as Remote UI) can be used for this purpose.

See the table below to confirm if this option is supported by your printer.  If supported, click "Yes" under Option Two for your printer model in the table below.  This will take you to Canon’s knowledgebase article for detailed instructions on updating the firmware.

• Option Three

Alternatively, the firmware for each of the affected printer models can be updated immediately using an updater that is currently available on Canon’s website.  To use the updater, see the requirements listed below.  Please click "Yes" under Option Three for your printer model in the table below.  If the website does not automatically detect the computer’s operating system, select it from the Operating System drop-down.

v Requirements for Option Three:

• USB cable
  • Printer’s driver installed on the computer in which the firmware update will be performed

Affected printer models and link to its respective firmware update procedure:

Model

Option One

(Update Firmware from Operation Panel)

Option Two

(Update Firmware using Remote UI)

Option Three

(Update Firmware using Updater)

PIXMA iP110

-

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY iB4020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB2020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB2320

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB5020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB5320

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MG6620

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MG7520

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MX490 / MX492

Yes

Yes

Yes

Note:  If Canon determines that additional models are affected by this situation, we will issue an updated Service Notice.

Support

If you have not already done so, please register your Canon printer at MyCanon. By registering your product we will be able to notify you via email of any future announcements regarding your product.

This information is only for residents of the U.S.A. and its five territories. If you do not reside in the U.S.A. or its five territories, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region for registration purposes.

Thank You
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Get personalized support via MyCanon Account. Click here to get started.

65 REPLIES 65

Exactly. I thought it had died and started pricing new printers. Something told me to do a little research. Process was not exactly straightforward forward though. 

jewels0413
Apprentice

I am trying to update the firmware but the printer won't turn on enough before it turns off and reboots again in order for the printer to be found. please help

I had the same issue.  You need to disconnect the printer from your internet.  I had to turn off my router.  Then the update would proceed.

Turn off your printer, download the new firmware update, save to your laptop.  If you can, login to your router and block port 80 in both directions for just the printer's IP in your internet router/firewall settings (not on your laptop but on your network device).  That will stop the constant reboots and give you time to connect a cable. If you can't block your port, turn off your internet access totally (unplug your router/modem whatever you got).  Then you can update the firmware with the cable from your laptop to your printer.  Run the update Reboot the printer, turn your router back on, run the wifi setup again on the printer.  Then you can remove the port block (or leave it, that's what I did).

kmhart
Contributor

The "second DNS" scenario did not work at all.  I am an IT professional in no position to shut down my life to fix a printer problem or make attempts to isolate the root cause.  Timing could not have been worse.  I was up to my ears in work deadline and domestic issues.  I was on the CUSP of spending $150 for an emergency repair, I was in contact with a professional who naturally said "not fixable."    So I ended up shutting down my life for many hours Friday night and all morning Saturday because the thought of one more piece of IT junk in the landfill made me want to weep.  I wasted hours on what I first thought was the result of a minor power spike in my home Thursday - I disassembled the scanner assembly under the control panel and nearly went insane getting in back in properly. I accidentally disconnected a ribbon cable.  The only good thing there was a got an actual 5040 error.  I had not repaired a printer in 15 years.  I had not reconfigured my router since 2016.  In the end, the immediate workaround was to block port 80 on my firewall for the printer to make it stop the crazy.  I was able to apply a static IP to it so I could manage it on my home Inet router.  This was an incredible nuisance, and most people will just go out and replace their printer.  Sad situation that probably cost a lot of people with no patience for IT issues a lot of money and time and needless waste.

Good to hear I'M not the only tech to get thrown or a loop on this issue. It took almost 2 hours took remediate via the solution as provided by Canon.

gwhite2152
Contributor

The update did not work on my MX492.  Canon needs to clear all printers to the new state and reload the 3-22-16 Full Driver and Software which worked until this week.  I cannot buy an new printer but it would not be a canon.

Don't give up!  If you can, get into your internet router and block port 80 in both directions for just the IP assigned to your printer.  That will stop the reboots so you can do the firmware update.  Note:  the firmware .exe file should be on your laptop first.  If you can't block port 80 for the one IP to your printer, then your internet will have to come down temporarily.  I found the port block more convenient.    You will also need to reinstall the drivers (newest ones) as well. I have a working printer and fax back online now and can print to it on my wireless network.  Good luck.

Hatkerder
Apprentice

I use my through my smartphone. It isn’t clear how to fix the issue that way. When I go on the app there isn’t a solution and no indication of how to fix through “Access Point Mode”. I can’t get a new printer at this point nor should I have to since I didn’t so anything.

Question, can you access your internet router and locate the printer's IP and disable port 80 in both directions for that one IP?   Turning off internet access for the printer will stop the reboots and allow you to keep your internet connections.  Then, whatever way you set up your printer originally (I assume with a USB cable and a computer) you will need to download and update firmware same way, then have your phone recognize the "new" printer object. I basically gave up an entire Saturday to this, but mine is now working.

Announcements