cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Notice: UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down

TeamPrinter
Product Expert
Product Expert

Canon U.S.A., Inc. has recently become aware of a situation where select Canon inkjet printers continuously reboot or power down after the Canon logo appears if the product is connected to the internet. If this occurs, the printer cannot be used.

Update

When a printer is powered on and connected to the Internet, it will access an external server. Beginning on May 30, 2022, an update in information sent from the external server to the affected printer models resulted in an error that caused it to go through a continuous reboot or power down.

On June 7, 2022, the matter was resolved.

Note:  If the printer continues to reboot, turn it off or unplug the power cord from the printer.  Wait up to ten seconds, and then power on the printer.

Recommended Action

Although the matter is resolved, we recommend that the affected printer models’ firmware be updated to help prevent risk of reoccurrence.

Below are options to update the firmware on the affected printer models.

•  Option One (Recommended)

On nearly all the affected printer models listed below, the firmware can be updated from the printer’s operational panel while it is connected to the Internet.  The printer’s display will typically indicate when a firmware is available for updating via the operational panel.

See the table below to confirm if this option is supported by your printer.  If supported, click "Yes" under Option One for your printer model in the table below.  This will take you to Canon’s knowledgebase article for detailed instructions on updating the firmware.

• Option Two

For printer models whose firmware cannot be updated via the operational panel, the Remote User Interface (also referred to as Remote UI) can be used for this purpose.

See the table below to confirm if this option is supported by your printer.  If supported, click "Yes" under Option Two for your printer model in the table below.  This will take you to Canon’s knowledgebase article for detailed instructions on updating the firmware.

• Option Three

Alternatively, the firmware for each of the affected printer models can be updated immediately using an updater that is currently available on Canon’s website.  To use the updater, see the requirements listed below.  Please click "Yes" under Option Three for your printer model in the table below.  If the website does not automatically detect the computer’s operating system, select it from the Operating System drop-down.

v Requirements for Option Three:

• USB cable
  • Printer’s driver installed on the computer in which the firmware update will be performed

Affected printer models and link to its respective firmware update procedure:

Model

Option One

(Update Firmware from Operation Panel)

Option Two

(Update Firmware using Remote UI)

Option Three

(Update Firmware using Updater)

PIXMA iP110

-

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY iB4020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB2020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB2320

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB5020

Yes

Yes

Yes

MAXIFY MB5320

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MG6620

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MG7520

Yes

Yes

Yes

PIXMA MX490 / MX492

Yes

Yes

Yes

Note:  If Canon determines that additional models are affected by this situation, we will issue an updated Service Notice.

Support

If you have not already done so, please register your Canon printer at MyCanon. By registering your product we will be able to notify you via email of any future announcements regarding your product.

This information is only for residents of the U.S.A. and its five territories. If you do not reside in the U.S.A. or its five territories, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region for registration purposes.

Thank You
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Get personalized support via MyCanon Account. Click here to get started.

65 REPLIES 65

jqxr11
Apprentice

I started having exactly the same problem today with my PIXMA E480. You need to update firmware for this printer also. 

Hi, jqxr11!

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thanks for posting!  We appreciate your participation, though we need to let you know that your product is a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA as it's not available in this country.  The Canon Community Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

Danny, are you all fixing this issue? Your printer is now worthless and clearly due to some issue with Canon.  I use printer (pixma 110) with my iphone only so your fixes are not helpful.  How can i use with my phone

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Given all the posts about this topic it might be good if this was posted at the top of the board like a "sticky". 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

LELUYER
Apprentice

I have the same issue with a Canon maxify MB5050. Is it possible to produce a firmware update for this printer (my os is ubuntu 20.0.4 LTS) ?

Thanks,

Hi, LELUYER!

We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.  As the MAXIFY MB5050 is not available through Canon USA, you'll need to contact the Canon company that serves the country or region your printer was intended for.  Please click HERE and select your country to find support in your part of the world.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

gwhite
Apprentice

How long does this update take? I downloaded the firmware provided and following the steps, but it doesn't seem to be progressing...

it took a bit of time when I did mine

like hours? mine has been going for at least 2 hours already and there is still no progress...

Announcements